- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of current status of curriculum for geriatric dental hygiene in Korea
국내 노인치위생학 교육과정 현황분석
- Kim, Yeo-Ju (Department of Oral Health and Welfare Graduate School, Dankook University) ;
- Jang, Jong-Hwa (Department of Oral Health and Welfare Graduate School, Dankook University) ;
- Cho, Ja-Won (Department of Oral Health and Welfare Graduate School, Dankook University)
- Received : 2020.10.27
- Accepted : 2020.11.23
- Published : 2020.12.30
Objectives: This study aimed to analyze the current status and educational contents of the geriatric-related curriculum in dental hygiene departments at colleges across the country. Methods: To analyze the current status of geriatric curriculum, it was investigated by searching the websites of colleges across the country where dental hygiene (curriculum) department was available. Furthermore, a literature review of domestic and foreign textbooks related to geriatric dental hygiene was conducted to analyze the contents of geriatric dental hygiene curriculum. Results: Among colleges that offer dental hygiene (curriculum) department, 8 four-year and 12 three-year colleges (24.4%) offered geriatric dental hygiene courses. A comparison of the contents of the textbooks titled "Geriatric dental hygiene" published by Goonja, Daehan Narae, and Komoonsa showed that basic contents such as the characteristics, health problems, and oral health problems of elderly -people were described in the same context. However, there was a difference in the volume and importance of the concerned contents also. Conclusions: Universities and related organizations which offer dental hygiene curriculum should continue to conduct studies for the development of geriatric hygiene curricula. Moreover, heightened efforts are needed to ensure that geriatric dental hygiene education is more systematically offered.
- Kim CH, Lee SM, Kim HM, Opinions of Korean dental hygienists on the advanced dental hygienist system in Korea. J Dent Hyg Sci 2020;20(2):175-87. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20200017
- Kim EK, Lim SH, Gwon MY, Choi YY, Han HH. Analysis of tasks and education needs for dental hygienist for development of dental hygiene curriculum. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(1):35-42.
- Min BS, Moon JS, Kim CS, Yoon WS, Jung JH, Shin HS, et al. A study on improving the curriculum of the A.F.N.A. J Military Nursing Research 2003;21(1):189-242.
- Won BY, Hwang MY, Chun SY. The actual condition of operating dental hygiene curriculum between korea and america. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):1061-71.
- Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Kim SA, Jang JH. Development of Korean standard dental hygiene curriculum proposal. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013;13(1):1-12. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.1.001
- Kohn E. The impact of community on curriculum decision making: a case study from a north american jewish day school. J Curric Teach 2008;23(1):89-98. https://doi.org/10.7459/ct/23.1.07
- Chung KH, Oh YH, Kang EN, Kim KR, Lee YK, Oh MA, et al. A preliminary study for survey of the actual conditions of the elderly in 2017. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2016: 60-2.
- Lee JH, Lee YH, Yun JW, Jang KA. The convergent relationship between experience of elderly oral health care education by specialist and attitudes toward the elderly. Korea Con Soc 2019;10(10):43-50. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2019.10.10.043
- GO HS, Kang KR, Kang KS, GO SM, So JS, Lee SG, et al. Development of education curriculum for geriatric dentistry at basic and expert levels. Seoul: Health policy Institute; 2019: 1-142.
- Lee BR, Park SM, Huh JS, Huh KS, Seo JT, Choi SH, et al. The necessity of establishing a specialist program for geriatric dentistry for the elderly of korea based on their general health status. J Korean Dent Assoc 2019;57(10):579-87.
- Lee YJ. A study on the offering status and curriculum of gerontological nursing course[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2007.
- Kim MW, Park JM, Han AK. Analysis of curriculum of 4- year nursing schools. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2011;17(3):414-23. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.414
- Song MS, Gong YS, Kim NC, Kim JH, Kim CK, Kim HK, et al. Development of gerontological nursing curriculum model. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33(4):376-85. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.376
- Baik SH, Shin DS, Chang SO, Hong GR, Kwon SH, Kim MS, et al. Baccalaureate competencies and curriculum in gerontological nursing. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2018;20(2):76-85. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2018.20.2.76
- Lee KH, Choi YY, Jung ES. Proposal for dementia-related curriculum development for dental hygiene degree programs in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2019;19(6):891-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20190076
- Yun KO, Kim JS, Kim SH. Satisfaction of the aged with their dental treatments and consideration of the necessity for dental hygienic education about the aged. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(4):765-75.
- Lim HK, Kim HJ. Factors influencing the communication skill for the elderly of dental Hygienist. J KoCon.a 2016;16(6):627-35. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.06.627
- Kang BW, Kim NH, Park JR, Lee HS, Jong JJ, Jung SY, et al. Geriatric dental hygiene care. 1st ed. Gyeonggi: Koonja; 2012: 1-207.
- Park MS, Kim SR, Kim JA, Kwon SJ, Kwon HS, Kim SH, et al. Geriatric dental hygiene care. 1st ed. Seoul: Dahannarae; 2012: 1-211.
- Kim YK, Park JR, Yoo JH, Jang JH, Jung MO, Jung JY, et al. Geriatric dental hygiene care. 1st ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2020: 1-286.
- Park MS, Kim SR, Bae SJ, Jung JA, Kim KS, Kim MJ, et al. Geriatric and special care dentistry. 1st ed. Seoul: Dahannarae; 2020: 1-207.
- Oh SH, Kwon HS, Kim CS, Lee MO, Lee SM, Jang KA, et al. Oral rehabilitation. 1st ed. Seoul: Jisung; 2018: 1-190.
- Esther M. Wilkins. Clinical practice of the dental hygienist. 12th ed. Wolters Kluwer. Baltimore 2017: 825-37.
- 植田耕一郎 . 歯科衛生士のための 高 齢 者自歯科学 . 第 3 版 . 永末書店 . 日本 . 2017: 1-232.
- Yoon ES. Study on the curriculum of gerontological nursing-baccalaureate degree programs (BSN) in Korea -. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2008;14(2):188-94. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.2.188
- Yun JW, Kim JS. A study on the dental hygiene legislation in Korea and Japan. J Korean Oral Health Sci 2019;7(3):77-82. https://doi.org/10.33615/jkohs.2019.7.3.77
- ⻭科衛⽣⼠ 国試問題研究会. 徹底分析!年度別⻭科衛生士国家試験問題集 2020年版. 医⻭薬出版. 日本. 2019: 1-484.
- Sato Y, Miura A, Saito A. Dysphagia management in a 3-year dental hygiene education programme in Japan. Int J Dent Hyg 2005;3(4):179-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2005.00144.x