- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Wearable Near-Infrared Rays on Knee Pain in Korean Elderly Adults
- Lee, Jin-Min (Department of nursing, Chosun University) ;
- Kim, Kye-Ha (Ex-Department of Computer and Electron Communication, Yanbian University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2020.10.02
- Accepted : 2020.11.28
- Published : 2020.12.31
To investigate the effects of wearable near-infrared ray-emitting knee pads on knee pain among elderly adults in Korea. Randomized controlled trial evaluating the effects of near-infrared rays (NIR) on knee pain in Korean elderly adults. Five community-based research facilities (two welfare centers, a senior citizen center, and two churches). Forty-seven participants aged 65 years and older who had experienced knee pain. The experimental group (n = 25) wore NIR-emitting knee pads for one month at nighttime while sleeping. The control group (n = 22) wore knee pads without NIR. Demographic characteristics, intensity and duration of knee pain, amount of analgesic medication used, range of motion, gait speed, and health-related quality of life were collected using questionnaires. The experimental group showed decreased intensity (t = -6.17, p < 0.001) and duration (t = -3.34, p = 0.002) of knee pain and reduced analgesic use (t = -2.30, p = 0.026) compared to the control group. NIR may be an effective non-pharmacological option for relieving knee pain in elderly adults.
- K,O. Chang and J. H. Lim, "Construction of a structural model about the perceived health status, pain, sleep pattern and quality of life in the elderly", J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc., vol. 15, No. 7, p. 4336-4345, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4336
- D. T. Felson, J. Niu, E. K. Quinn, T. Neogi, C. Lewis, C. E. Lewis, et al., "Multiple nonspecific sites of joint pain outside the knees develop in persons with knee pain", Arthritis Rheumatol., vol. 69, No. 2, p. 335-342, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.39848
- Y. S. Kim and H. S. Byun, "Effects of pain on memory, physical function, and sleep disturbance in older adults with chronic disease: The mediating role of depression", J. Korean Gerontol Nurs., vol. 16, p. 59-67, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.59
- G. C. Campos, D. M. Pacca, C. R. Sonnwend, A. R. Zorzi, E. A. Chaim, and J. B. Miranda, "Prevalence of joint pain and osteoarthritis in obese Brazilian population", Osteoarthritis Cartilage., vol. 25, No. 1, p. S206-S207, 2017.
- D. Pereira, M. Severo, E. Ramos, J. Branco, R. A. Santos, L. Costa, et al., "Potential role of age, sex, body mass index and pain to identify patients with knee osteoarthritis", Int. J. Rheum. Dis., vol. 20, No. 2, p. 190-198, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/1756-185X.12611
- K. H. Kim and J. M. Lee, "The level of pain, gait speed, and ROM in community-dwelling older adults with knee joint pain", J. Korean Acad Community Health Nurs., vol. 28, No. 2, p. 156-164, 2017. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.2.156
- J. A. Roman-Blas, S. Castaneda, O. Sanchez-Pernaute, R. Largo and G. Herrero-Beaumont, "Combined treatment with chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine sulfate shows no superiority over placebo for reduction of joint pain and functional impairment in patients with knee osteoarthritis: A six-month multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial", Arthritis Rheumatol., vol. 69, No. 1, p. 77-85, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.39819
- C. H. Choi, W. S. Cho, H. J. Jeong, H. C. Kim, and N. H. Choi, "Pain in patients evaluated in outpatient orthopaedic clinics", Knee Surg Relat Res., vol. 20, No. 1, p. 83-91, 2008.
- D. Thankachan and S. Rathod, "Effectiveness of quadriceps strengthening exercises on knee joint pain among women", Int. J. Psychiatr. Nurs., vol. 3, No. 1, p. 32-37, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5958/2395-180X.2017.00006.8
- A. Coutaus, "Non-pharmacological treatments for pain relief: TENS and acupuncture", Joint Bone Spine., vol. 84, No. 6, p. 657-661, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2017.02.005
- A. C Lee, W. F. Harvey, L. L. Price, L. P. K. Morgan, N. L. Morgan, and C. Wang, "Mindfulness is associated with psychological health and moderates pain in knee osteoarthritis", Osteoarthritis Cartilage., vol. 25, No. 6, p. 824-831, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2016.06.017
- J. H. Gu, E. S. Kim, Y. C. Park, E. C. Jung, and E. J. Lee, "A systematic review of bee venom acupuncture for knee osteoarthritis", J. Orient. Rehabil. Med., vol. 27, No. 3, p. 47-60, 2017.
- J. S. Lee, "Joint pain in patients with osteoarthritis: Based on the 5th KNHNES", J. Muscle. Joint. Health., vol. 23, No. 3, p. 152-158, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.3.152
- A. Lubkowska, A. Radecja, I. Bryczkowska, I. Rotter, M. Laszczynska and B. Karakiewicz, "Changes in the bioelectric activity of the trapezius muscle following the thermal effect of red light and infrared radiation", J. Back. Musculoskelet Rehabil., vol. 31, No. 4, p. 645-656, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-169745
- I. Kimura, T. Yamamoto, K. Natamura, T. Uenishi, T. Asai, M. Kita, et al., "Effects of far infrared radiation by isotropic high-density carbon on the human oral mucosa", Arch Oral Biol., vol. 94, p. 62-68, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2018.06.011
- K. Li, Z. Zhang, N.F. Li, P. Sadigh, V.J. Evans, H. Zhou, et al, "Far-infrared radiation thermotheray improves tissue fibrosis in chronic extremity lymphedema", Lymphat Res Biol., vol. 16, No. 3, p. 248-257, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1089/lrb.2016.0057
- S. He, K. Krippes, S. Rits, Z. Chen, A. Best, H.J. Butt, et al, "Ultralow-intensity near-infrared light induces drug delivery by upconverting nanoparticles", Chem. Commun., vol. 51, p. 431-434, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1039/c4cc07489k
- S. J. Seo, B. G. Kim, B. D. Sarwade, and E. K. Kim, "Current status and future trends in near-infrared absorbing materials", J. Korean Soc. Imaging. Sci. Technol., vol. 19, p. 25-34, 2013.
- A, Konig, N. Zoller, S. Kippenberger, A. Bernd, R. Kaufmann, P.G. Layer, et al., "Non-thermal nearinfrared exposure photobiomodulates celluar responses to ionizing radiation in human full thickness skin models", J. Photochem. Phtobiol. B., vol. 178, p. 115-123, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2017.11.003
- N. Murphy, C. Karlin-Zysman and S. Anandan, "Management of chronic pain in the elderly: A review of current and upcoming novel therapeutics", Am. J. Ther., vol. 25, No. 1, p. e36-e43, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1097/MJT.0000000000000659
- A. Ali, L. Rosenberg, T. R. Weiss, C. Milak, and A. I. Perlman, "Massage therapy and quality of life on osteoarthritis of the knee: A qualitative study", Pain Med., vol. 18, No. 6, p. 1168-1175, 2017.
- M. A. Park, S. K. Hwang, and Y. J. Lee, "The WOMAC Index and life satisfaction after knee replacement arthroplasty", Glob Health Nurs., vol. 6, No. 2, p. 69-79, 2016.
- G. C. Dunbar, M. J. Stoker, and G. Beaumont, "The SmothKline Beecham 'Quality of Life' Scale: A validation and reliability study in patients with affective disorder", Qual Life Res., vol. 1, No. 6, p. 385-395, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00704433
- J. S. Yoon, S. H. Kook, and M. S. Lee, "A preliminary study on Korean version of the SmithKline Beecham 'Quality of Life' Scale (KvSBQOL), J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc., vol. 37, No. 2, p. 280-294, 1998.
- P. de Almeida, R. A. B. Lopez-Martins, T. D. Marchi, S.S. Tomazoni, R. Albertini, J.C. Correa, et al, "Red (660 nm) and infrared (830 nm) low-level laser therapy in skeletal muscle fatigue in humans: What is better?", Lasers Med Sci., vol. 27, No. 2, p. 453-458, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-011-0957-3
- J. K. Oh, S. W. Kang, and S. Z. Piao, "Differences in knee joint proprioceptive capabilities according to hot and cold stimulation", Sport Sci., vol. 33, No. 2, p. 125-135, 2016.
- N. Y. Lee, C. S. Kwon, and S. Y. Kim, "The effect of mechanical traction on pain and physical function in patients with knee osteoarthritis", Phys Ther Korea., vol. 22, p. 23-32, 2015. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2015.22.3.023
- G. L. Bagnato, G. Miceli, M. Atteritano, N. Marino and G.F. Bagnato, "Far infrared emitting plaster in knee osteoarthritis: A single blinded, randomised clinical trial", Reumatismo., vol. 64, No. 6, p. 388-394, 2012.
- U. E. Makris, M. J. Kohler, and I. Fraenkel, "Adverse effects of topical nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in older adults with osteoarthritis: A systematic literature review", J. Rhematol., vol. 37, p. 1236-1243, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.090935