- Volume 60 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Balloon dilation with triamcinolone intralesional injection successfully treated rectal stricture in a three-month kitten
- Lee, Hee-Ryung (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Adam, Gareeballah Osman (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Sei-Jin (Korea Basic Science Institute Jeonju Center) ;
- Kim, Shang-Jin (College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeonbuk National University)
- Received : 2019.04.15
- Accepted : 2019.12.02
- Published : 2020.03.31
This report describes a three-month-old Korean domestic kitten presented with dehydration and poor body condition. Physical examination revealed abdominal distension. Rectal diagnosis was unachievable due to the small rectum diameter. X-ray radiography and endoscopy confirmed presence of abdominal distension and indicated a stricture located 1.5 cm from the anus. A balloon was gently inserted into the rectum and inflated several times followed by triamcinolone injection. Four months later, same procedures were repeated. This report is the first to describe the use of balloon dilation of a rectal stricture followed by intralesional triamcinolone injection in a small cat with poor condition.
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology
- Washabau RJ. Chapter 1: integration of gastrointestinal function. In: Washabau RJ, Day MJ (eds.). Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. 1st ed. pp. 1-31. W.B. Saunders, Saint Louis, 2013.
- Karanikas M, Touzopoulos P, Mitrakas A, Zezos P, Zarogoulidis P, Machairiotis N, Efremidou E, Liratzopoulos N, Polychronidis A, Kouklakis G. Benign post-radiation rectal stricture treated with endoscopic balloon dilation and intralesional triamcinolone injection. Case Rep Gastroenterol 2012;6:583-589.
- Houghton G, Matthews RA. Immunosuppression of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) to ichthyophthiriasis using the corticosteroid triamcinolone acetonide. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 1986;12:413-419.
- Placer C, Urdapilleta G, Markinez I, Mugika F, Mugica JA, Elosegui JL, Murgoitio J, Irazusta M, Enriquez-Navascues JM. Benign anastomotic strictures after oncologic rectal cancer surgery. Results of treatment with hydrostatic dilation. Cir Esp 2010;87:239-243.
- Garisto JD, Campillo L, Edwards E, Harbour M, Ermocilla R. Giant fecaloma in a 12-year-old-boy: a case report. Cases J 2009;2:127.
- Cheng M, Ghahremani S, Roth A, Chawla SC. Chronic constipation and its complications: an interesting finding to an otherwise commonplace problem. Glob Pediatr Health 2016;3:2333794X16648843.
- Lamoureux A, Maurey C, Freiche V. Treatment of inflammatory rectal strictures by digital bougienage: a retrospective study of nine cases. J Small Anim Pract 2017;58:293-297.
- Chavkin JA, Spector DJ, Stanley SW. Balloon dilation and intralesional steroid for benign rectal stricture management in a cat. J Feline Med Surg 2010;12:663-665.
- Zwart K, Van Ginkel DJ, Hulsker CC, Witvliet MJ, Van Herwaarden-Lindeboom MY. Does mechanical bowel preparation reduce the risk of developing infectious complications in pediatric colorectal surgery? A systematic review and metaanalysis. J Pediatr 2018;203:288-293.e1.
- Skreden K, Wiig JN, Myrvold HE. Balloon dilation of rectal strictures. Acta Chir Scand 1987;153:615-617.
- Kay AT, Bolt DM, Ishihara A, Rajala-Schultz PJ, Bertone AL. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of intra-articular injection of triamcinolone acetonide, mepivacaine hydrochloride, or both on lipopolysaccharide-induced lameness in horses. Am J Vet Res 2008;69:1646-1654.
- Araujo SE, Costa AF. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic balloon dilation of benign anastomotic strictures after oncologic anterior rectal resection: report on 24 cases. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2008;18:565-568.
- Di ZH, Shin JH, Kim JH, Song HY. Colorectal anastomotic strictures: treatment by fluoroscopic double balloon dilation. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2005;16:75-80.
- Kunitake H, Poylin V. Complications following anorectal surgery. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2016;29:14-21.
- Bonadio WA, Jona JZ, Glicklich M, Cohen R. Esophageal bougienage technique for coin ingestion in children. J Pediatr Surg 1988;23:917-918.
- Webb CB, McCord KW, Twedt DC. Rectal strictures in 19 dogs: 1997-2005. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2007;43:332-336.
- Westerman ME, Parker WP, Viers BR, Rivera ME, Karnes RJ, Frank I, Tarrell R, Thapa P, Thompson RH, Tollefson MK, Boorjian SA. Malignant ureteroenteric anastomotic stricture following radical cystectomy with urinary diversion: Patterns, risk factors, and outcomes. Urol Oncol 2016;34:485.e1-485.e6.
- Singh VV, Draganov P, Valentine J. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic balloon dilation of symptomatic upper and lower gastrointestinal Crohn's disease strictures. J Clin Gastroenterol 2005;39:284-290.
- Ruetzler K, Krafft P, Frass M. Airway management in intensive care medicine. In: Hagberg CA (ed.). Benumof and Hagberg's Airway Management. 3rd ed. pp. 916-954.e917. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 2013.
- Griffith BH. The treatment of keloids with triamcinolone acetonide. Plast Reconstr Surg 1966;38:202-208.
- Daane S, Toth BA. Plastic Surgery Secrets Plus. 2nd ed. pp. 120-122. Mosby, Philadelphia, 2010.
- Ketchum LD, Smith J, Robinson DW, Masters FW. The treatment of hypertrophic scar, keloid and scar contracture by triamcinolone acetonide. Plast Reconstr Surg 1966;38:209-218.
- Lavy A. Triamcinolone improves outcome in Crohn's disease strictures. Dis Colon Rectum 1997;40:184-186.
- Gunjan D, Sharma V, Rana SS, Bhasin DK. Small bowel bleeding: a comprehensive review. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf) 2014;2:262-275.
- Brower RA, Freeman LD. Balloon catheter dilation of a rectal stricture. Gastrointest Endosc 1984;30:95-97.
- Hidas G, Gibbs D, Alireza A, Khoury AE. Management of rectal stenosis with endoscopic balloon dilatation. J Pediatr Surg 2013;48:e13-e16.