- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of job satisfaction on turnover intention and intention to stay in dental hygienists
치과위생사의 직무만족이 이직의도와 근속의사에 미치는 영향
- Park, Ji-Hyeon (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University) ;
- Cho, Young-Sik (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2019.11.01
- Accepted : 2020.01.16
- Published : 2020.02.28
Objectives: This study was conducted to investigate the effects of dental hygienists' job satisfaction on turnover intention and intention to stay. Methods: A survey was conducted targeting 273 dental hygienists in dental clinics. The study data were u analyzed using PASW Statistics 20.0 Results: The level of job satisfaction of dental hygienists was 3.30±0.50, and the highest ranked item in the survey was 'I am satisfied with my relationships with patients' 3.72±0.73. Job satisfaction according to general characteristics showed significant differences in age, marriage, education, career, current work experience, position, and schedule for future turnover. The turnover intention according to general characteristics showed significant difference in age and schedule for future turnover. The intention to stay according to general characteristics showed significant differences in age, marriage, education, career, current work experience, number of dentists, number of dental hygienists, and schedule for future turnover. The factors affecting turnover intention were schedule for future turnover, income, co-worker relation and professional time, while those affecting intention to stay were overall professional satisfaction, co-worker relation, schedule for future turnover, professional time, income, number of dental hygienists, patient relations and current work experience. Conclusions: Job satisfaction factors that had a common effect on turnover intention and intention to stay were schedule for future turnover, income, co-worker relation and professional time. To reduce turnover and encourage longevity, adequate pay and positive interpersonal relationships are necessary.
- Dailydental. Policy/insurance [Internet]. [cited 2019 Dec 01]. Korean Dental Association; Available from: http://www.dailydental.co.kr/news/article.html?no=100950
- Dttoday. Dental news/Policy [Internet]. [cited 2019 Dec 01]. Dental Today.; Available from: http://www.dttoday.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=52807.
- Kim YY, Kim ST. National health insurance staistical yearbook. Wonju: Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, National Health Insurance Service; 2018: 48,55.
- Yoon MS. Suggestions for settlement stable employment culture of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2017;17(6):463-71. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.6.463
- Lim DJ, Kim SH, Shin JS. An analysis on the utilization and employment structure of national licenses in the field of health and medicine. J Policy Develop 2014;14(2):147-67.
- Han JY, Cho JY. The effect of organizational social capital on job stress, job satisfaction and turnover intention : focusing on dental hygienists. Korean Management Consulting Review 2018;18(4):187-95.
- Kang HS, Moon KS, Kang BW, Kim NH, So MH, Song GS, et al. Survey on the working environment of clinical dental hygienists. Korea Dental Hygienists Association, Industry-Academic Cooperation Group of Suwon Women's University; 2018: 56.
- Bae SM, Kim HK. A status of determinant of the intention to turnover for dental hygienists. JKAIS 2012;13(12):5986-92. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5986
- Park SA, Lee JY. A literature review on measurement tools for dental hygienist turnover intention in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2019;19(1):1-17. https://doi.org/10.13065/ jksdh.20190001
- Yang JA. Qualitative study on dental hygienist intention to stay in dental clinics[Master's thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Namseoul, 2016.
- Kim HJ, Kim YJ, Kim MH. A study of factors related to job satisfaction affecting service year: a dental hygienist in Seoul. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(4):510-5. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.510
- Han YS, Moon HJ, Cho YS. Reliability and validity of the Korean version of job embeddedness for measurement tool of dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(1):18-25. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.18
- Im SY, Park JH. A systematic literature review on job satisfaction of dental hygienist. JCIT 2019;9(1):123-35. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.1.123
- Im SY, Park JH. Validity and reliability of the Korean version of dental hygienist satisfaction survey. JCIT 2019;9(9):219-28. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.9.219
- Shugars DA, Hays RD, DiMatteo MR, Cretin S. Development of an instrument to measure job satisfaction among dentists. Medical Care 1991;29(8):728-44.
- Lawer EE. Satisfaction and behavior. New York: McGrow Hill; 1983: 287-301.
- Choi HN, Lim SR, Cho YS. Factors associated with turnover intention of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010;10(6):973-81.
- Yang JA, Lim SY, Choi YS. Development of scale of long-term employment intention for dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(6):1025-35. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.06.1025
- Kim NS, Yoon NN, Kim YH, Park JH, Kim HJ, Lee JH. The effect of dental hygienist's work environment on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(2):153-64. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2018.18.02.153
- Yoon NN, Lee JY, Yu BC. The correlations between psychological empowerment, leadermember exchange (LMX) and job satisfaction in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17(3):405-18. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2017.17.03.405
- Han JH, Song KS, Shin SJ. Factors affecting job satisfaction of clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2018;18(6):374-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2018.18.6.374
- Yoon SU, Oh NR, Jeong M. Influence on job satisfaction of emotional labor acordance to working properties and patients type of dental hygienist. Jour. of KoCon.a 2018;18(9):199-208. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.09.199
- Choi HJ, Jung JH, Joo GM. Influencing factors on turnover intention in clinical dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(6):1057-66. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20180091
- Choi YY. A study on the environmental pshchological long-service propensity in dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene 2003;5(1):75-84.
- Kim IY, Jang YJ. Factors affecting the job embeddedness of clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(6):879-89. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20180075
- Park KO, Kim JK, Kim SY. Qualitative study on clinical nurses' intention to stay in hospital. Korean J Adult Nurs 2014;26(6):681-92. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.6.681
- Lee ML, Lee HC. The effect influence of job satisfaction on turnover intention in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016;16(2):303-11. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.303
- Park SH, Lee TW. Factors influencing Korean nurses' intention to stay:a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2018;24(2):139-48. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.2.139
- Gong JW, Kwon HJ. A study of the effects of empowerment(PEI) on the retention and turnover plan among elderly care workers at long-term care facilities. J Korean Social Welfare Administration 2018;20(4):213-38. https://doi.org/10.22944/KSWA.2018.20.4.008