- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Fathers' Sex-Role Attitude and Parenting Involvement on Mothers' Parenting Stress: Focused on Parents with Young Children
유아기 자녀를 둔 아버지의 성역할태도와 양육참여가 어머니 양육스트레스에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2020.02.17
- Accepted : 2020.03.13
- Published : 2020.05.31
The purpose of the study was to examine the effects of fathers' sex-role attitude and parenting involvement on mothers' parenting stress. The subjects were 383 parents with young children aged 3-5 in Metropolitan area, South Korea. We measured the study variables using the questionnaires. The collected data were analyzed with descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation analyses, and the analyses of multiple regression using SPSS 21.0. The results showed that both fathers' sex-role attitude and fathers' parenting involvement had the statistically significant negative correlations with mothers' parenting stress. Second, fathers' sex-role attitude and parenting involvement showed the statistically significant negative effects on mothers' parenting stress. We suggest that it is necessary to promote the fathers modern and desirable sex-role attitude and to support fathers' participation in parenting in order to alleviate the parenting stress of mothers with young children.
- J. S. Lee, "Fathers' Childrearing Involvement and Mothers' Childrearing Stress," Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education(KJECE), Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 5-19, 2003.
- K. Kim and B. Cho, “An Ecological Approach to Analysis of Variables in the Parenting Stress of the Dual-earner Mothers and Fathers,” Korean Journal of Child Studies(KJCS), Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 35-50, 2000.
- Y. J. Kim, Women Who Had Maternity Leave Quitted Their Jobs in a Year, http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/society/rights/786908.html.
- Song, M. H., The Correlation Between Parenting Stress, Social Support and Parenting Self-Efficacy in Mothers of Preschool Children, Doctoral Dissertation, Ulsan University of Korea, Ulsan, South Korea, 2006.
- S. J. Chung and J. Y. Choi, “Effect of Maternal Sociodemographic Characteristics and Parenting Stress on a Child's Self-Concept: Parenting Style as a Mediating Factor,” Journal of the Korean Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry(JKACAP), Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 120-127, 2008.
- Lim, J. H., The Effects of Mother's Marital Satisfaction and Parenting Stress on Children's Self-Regulation Master's Thesis, Kyounggi University, Suwon, South Korea, 2013.
- Lee, Y. Y., The Effect of Father's Involvement in Child Rearing and Mother's Parenting Stress on Marital Relationship, Master's Thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, South Korea, 2007.
- Kang, K. Y., Perception of Equity.Decision-Making Styles and Family Life Satisfaction in Dual-career Couple, Doctoral Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea, 2000.
- J. B. Im and H. J. Jeong, Sex Role and Women, Kyunggi: Sinjeong Pub, South Korea, 2000.
- M. W. Osmond and P. Y. Martin, "Sex and Sexism: A Comparison of Male and Female Sex-role Attitudes," Journal of Marriage and Family(JMF), Vol. 37, pp. 744-758, 1975.
- Park, S. J., Effects of Gender Role Attitude of a Father and Maternal Gatekeeping in Dual Income Families on Paternal Involvement, Master's Thesis, Yousei University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea, 2017.
- Lee, Y. J., A Study on the Sex Role and the Child-rearing of Equality in Both Sexes by Infant Parents, Master's Thesis, Ewha Women's University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea, 2006.
- J. Lewis, “The Decline of the Male-Breadwinner Model: Implications for Work and Care,” Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State & Society, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 152-169, 2001.
- J. Y. Kim, H. J. Kim, and J. W. Choi, "A Study on Moderating Effect of Marital Communication(TSL) on Male Workers' Gender Role Attitudes and Wife Abuse," Speech & Communication(SC), Vol. 13, pp. 39-70, 2010.
- M. W. Kim and M. J. Kang, “The Effects of Double-income Couples' Gender Role Attitudes and Recognition of Social Support on Parenting Stress,” Family and Environment Research (FER), Vol. 49, No. 8, pp. 25-35, 2011.
- B. S. Lee, S. Y. Ryu, and M. Y. Song, “The Associations of Fathers' Perceived Values of Gender Roles with Mothers' Parenting Stress and Parenting Efficacy: A Mediating Effect of Mothers' Self-esteem,” Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education(KJECE), Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 75-97, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2017.37.6.004
- Y. H. Yee, J. S. Lee, and B. H. Cho, “Development of the Generative Fathering Scale,” Family and Environment Research (FER), Vol. 37, No. 12, pp. 79-89, 1999.
- K. J. Chung and M. R. Park, "The Relation between Fathers' Participation in Nurturing and Childrens Social Morality," Korea Journal of Child Care and Education(KJCCE), Vol. 80, pp. 43-64, 2013.
- Pyo, Y. K., The Relations among Nurtural Stress, and a Mother's Perception of a Father's Participation and Nurturing Efficacy, Master's Thesis, Seoul Women's University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea, 2012.
- Kim, K. J., Relationship Between the Father's Involvement in Child Rearing and Mother's Parenting Stress and Marital Adjustment in a Family Having a Child with Developmental Disability, Master's Thesis, Daegu University of Korea, Daegu, South Korea, 2007.
- J. Kim and J. H. Lee, “The Relationship Between Father's Participation in Child Rearing and Mother's Child Rearing Stress,” Korean Journal of Child Studies(KJCS), Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 245-261, 2005.
- Park, S. J., A Study on the Relation Between Father' s Participation in Child Parenting and Mother's Child Parenting Stress, Master's Thesis, Sangji University, Wonju, South Korea, 2011.
- S. M. Lee and H. Y. Yeoung, “The Relationship Between Preschooler's Temperament, Father's Child-rearing Involvement, and Mother's Child-rearing Stress,” Korean Journal of Human Ecology(KJHE), Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 219-225, 2007.
- Lee, Y. S., A Study on the Relationship Between Mothers' Parenting Stress and Fathers' Participation in Child Rearing, Master's Thesis, Kyoungwon University, Seongnam, South Korea, 2011.
- J. S. Lee, “The Influence of the Sex Role and the Concept of Children among Fathers' of Infant Children: In Relation to Fathers' Involvement in Child Care,” Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education(KJECE), Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 53-67, 2003.
- J. J. Ahn, "The Effect of Father's Child Rearing Involvement on Mother's Parenting Stress in Early Years: Focusing on the Mediating Role of Marital Relationship," Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare(JKSCW), No. 35, pp. 127-158, 2011.
- J. S. Lee and J. I. Doo, “The Effects of Preschooler's Adaptive Temperament and Father's Child-rearing Involvement on Mother's Child-rearing Stress,” Korean Journal of Child Psychotherapy(KJCP), Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 1-17, 2008.
- K. H. Kim and H. K. Kang, “Development of the Parenting Stress Scale,” Korean Journal of Home Economics(KJHE), Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 141-150, 1997.
- Kang, K. Y., A Perception of Equity.Decision-Making Styles and Family Life Satisfaction in Dual-Career Couple: Focus on an Office Workers, Managerial.Professional Workers, Doctoral Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea, 2000.