- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Organic Acid Contents and Fermentation Solution of Prunus mume in South Korea
- Kang, Hee-Kyoung (Department of Horticulture, Kongju National University) ;
- Kang, Hye-Rin (Department of Horticulture, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Young-Sang (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Song, Hong-Seon (Department of Plant Resource, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2020.04.06
- Accepted : 2020.05.12
- Published : 2020.06.01
This study was carried out to get the information of Plum tree (192 germplasm) collected in Korea, and to evaluate the organic acid contents and fermentation solution. The organic acid content of fruit was 50.9 ± 6.0 mg/g, and which was composed of 55.5% of citric acid, 43.4% of malic acid and 1.1% of oxalic acid, and showed large difference among germplasms. Oxalic acid and malic acid made no differences in organic acid content according to flesh color, whereas citric acid and total organic acid contents were highest in orange color and lowest in whitish green. Malic acid, citric acid and total organic acid contents did not show differences among fruit weight groups, but oxalic acid content was highest at fruit weight of 5.1 ~ 10.0 g and lowest at more than 20.1 g. The sugar content of fermentation solution of fruit was 55.7 ± 1.6 °Brix and the harvest rate was 116.7 ± 8.7%. The correlation coefficients among fruit weight, the sugar content (°Brix) and harvest rate of fermentation solution were very low, and there were correlations of r=-0.551⁎⁎ between fruit weight and oxalic acid, r=-0.767⁎⁎ between malic acid and citric acid, and r=0.834⁎⁎ between citric acid and total organic acid content.
- Cha, H.S., J.B. Hwang, J.S. Park, Y.K. Park and J.S. Jo. 1999a. Changes in chemical composition of mune (Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc) fruits during maturation. Korean J. Food Preserv. 6(4):481-487 (in Korean).
- Cha, H.S., Y.K. Park, J.S. Park, M.W. Park and J.S. Jo. 1999b. Changes in firmness, mineral composition and pectic substances of mune (Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc) fruits during maturation. Korean J. Food Preserv. 6(4):488-494 (in Korean).
- Gwak, B.K., S.Y. Eom, W. Kanphassorn, H.K. Kang and Y.S. Lee. 2018. Year-dependent variations of organic acid contents in pre-matured fruits of 175 Korean Prunus mume landlaces. Proceedings of Symposium. October 2018. Korean J. Plant Res. p. 115 (in Korean).
- Kim, S.M. 2017. Studies on the physiological activities in grade of maturity and parts of Prunus mume. Department of Food Science and Technology, Ph.D. Thesis, Sunchon National University, Korea. pp. 1-154 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.D., M.H. Jeong, I.R. Koo, I.K. Cho, S.H. Kwak, B.E. Kim and K.M. Kim. 2006. Chemical composition of Prumus mume flower varieties and drying method. Korean J. Food Preserv. 13(2):186-191 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.D., S.K. Kang and K.H. Hyun. 2002. Contents of cyanogenic glucosides in processed foods and during ripening of Ume according to varieties and picking date. Korean J. Food Preserv. 9(1):42-45 (in Korean).
- Lee, T.B. 2003. Coloured Flora of Korea. Vol. I. Hyangmunsa Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. p. 914 (in Korean).
- Lim, S.J. and J.B. Eun. 2012. Processing and distribution of Maesil, Japanese apricot in Korea. Food Sci. Ind. 45(2):2-9 (in Korean).
- Paik, I.Y., W.R. Chang, Y.S. Kwak, S.Y. Cho and H.E. Jin. 2010. Effect of Prumus mume supplementation on energy substrata levels and fatigue induction factors. J. of Life Science 20(1):49-54 (in Korean).
- Seo, K.S., C.K. Huh and Y.D. Kim. 2008. Comparison of antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Prunus mume fruit in different cultivars. Korean J. Food Preserv. 15(2):288-292 (in Korean).
- Seon, S.J., Y.J. Jeong, S.Y. Kim, J.H. Choi, N.Y. Kim, H.S. Lee, J.M. Bae, S.I. Kim, H.S. Lee, J.S. Shin and J.S. Han. 2017. Analysis of amygdalin of content Prunus mume by variety, harvest time, and fermentation conditions. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 46(6):721-729 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2017.46.6.721
- So, D.Y. 2013. Study on components by cultivar and characteristics of fermentation solution by maturation condition in Prunus mume. Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Ph.D. Thesis, Konkuk University, Korea. pp. 1-117 (in Korean ).
- Song, H.S. 1998. Korea Crop Encyclopedia. Polggotnamu. Seoul, Korea. pp. 192-195 (in Korean).
- Yaegaki, H., H. Iwata, T. Haji, Y. suesada and M. Yamaguchi. 2006. Classification and identification of cultivars in Japanese apricot (Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc.) based on quantitative evaluation of morphological features of stone. Bull. Natl. Inst. Fruit Tree Sci. 5:29-37.
- Yun, J.R. 2011. Component composition of fermented plum extracts with the variety and different sugar contents. Department of Traditional Korean Food Culture, MS. Thesis, Myongji University, Korea. pp. 1-58 (in Korean).