- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Sound transmission of multi-layered micro-perforated plates in a cylindrical impedance tube
원통형 임피던스 튜브 내 다중 미세천공 판의 음향투과
- Kim, Hyun-Sil (Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials) ;
- Ma, Pyung-Sik ;
- Kim, Bong-Ki ;
- Lee, Seong-Hyun ;
- Seo, Yun-Ho
- 김현실 (한국기계연구원 음향소음팀) ;
- 마평식 (한국기계연구원 음향소음팀) ;
- 김봉기 (한국기계연구원 음향소음팀) ;
- 이성현 (한국기계연구원 음향소음팀) ;
- 서윤호 (한국기계연구원 음향소음팀)
- Received : 2020.05.11
- Accepted : 2020.07.03
- Published : 2020.07.31
In this paper, sound transmission of Micro-Perforated Plates (MPPs) installed in an impedance tube with a circular cross-section is described using an analytic method. Vibration of the plates is expressed in terms of an infinite series of modal functions, where modal function in the radial direction is given by the Bessel function. Under the plane wave assumption, a low frequency approximation is derived, and a formula for the sound transmission coefficient of multi-layered MPPs is presented using the transfer matrix method. The Sound Transmission Losses (STLs) of single and double MPPs are computed using the proposed method and compared with those done by the Finite Element Method (FEM), which shows an excellent agreement. As the perforation increases, the STL is degraded, since the STL becomes dominated by the perforation ratio rather than by vibration of the plate. The STL shows dips at natural frequencies as well as at the mass-spring-mass resonance frequency. The proposed model for the STL prediction in this study can be applied to an arbitrary number of MPPs, where each MPP may or may not have a perforation.
- M. Toyoda and D. Takahashi, "Sound transmission through a microperforated-panel structure with subdivided air cavities," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 3594-3603 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3001711
- D. Y. Maa, "Microperforated-panel wideband absorbers," Noise Cont. Eng. J. 29, 77-84 (1987). https://doi.org/10.3397/1.2827694
- S. Min, K. Nagamura, N. Nakagawa, and M. Okamura, "Design of compact micro-perforated membrane absorbers for polycarbonate pane in automobile," Appl. Acoust. 74, 622-627 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.05.009
- M. Yairi, K. Sakagami, K. Takebayashi, and M. Morimoto, "Excess sound absorption at normal incidence by two microperforated panel absorbers with different impedance," Acoust. Sci. Technol. 32, 194-200 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1250/ast.32.194
- H.-S. Kim, P.-S. Ma, B.-K. Kim, S.-R. Kim, and Y.-H. Seo, "Low-frequency sound absorption of elastic microperforated plates in a parallel arrangement," J. Sound Vib. 460, 114884 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2019.114884
- Y. Y. Lee and E. W. M. Lee, "Widening the sound absorption bandwidths of flexible micro-perforated curved absorbers using structural and acoustic resonances," Int. J. Mech. Sci. 49, 925-934 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2007.01.008
- Y. Y. Lee, E. W. M. Lee, and C. F. Ng, "Sound absorption of a finite flexible micro-perforated panel backed by an air cavity," J. Sound Vib. 287, 227-243 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.11.024
- R. L. Mu, M. Toyoda, and D. Takahashi, "Improvement of sound insulation performance of multilayer windows by using microperforated panel," Acoust. Sci. Technol. 32, 79-81 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1250/ast.32.79
- T. Dupont, G. Pavic, and B. Laulagnet, "Acoustic properties of lightweight micro-perforated plate systems," Acta Acust. united Ac. 89, 201-212 (2003).
- H.-S. Kim, S.-R. Kim, B.-K. Kim, P.-S. Ma, and Y.-H. Seo, "Sound transmission loss of multi-layered infinite micro-perforated plates," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 147, 508-515 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0000600
- T. Bravo, C. Maury, and C. Pinhede, "Sound absorption and transmission through flexible micro-perforated panels backed by an air layer and a thin plate," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131, 3853-3863 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3701987
- T. Bravo, C. Maury, and C. Pinhede, "Enhancing sound absorption and transmission through flexible multi-layer micro-perforated structures," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 3663-3673 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4821215
- H.-S. Kim, P.-S. Ma, B.-K. Kim, S.-H. Lee, and Y.-H. Seo, "Sound transmission loss of multi-layered elastic micro-perforated plates in an impedance tube," Appl. Acoust. 166, No. 107348 (2020).
- M. L. Munjal, Acoustics of Ducts and Muffler, 2nd Ed. (John Wiley and Sons Ltd, United Kingdom, 2014), Section 1.2.
- D. Takahashi and M. Tanaka, "Flexural vibration of perforated plates and porous elastic materials under acoustic loading," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 112, 1456-1464 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1497624
- A. W. Leissa, Vibration of Plates (Acoustical Society of America, New York, 1993), Chap. 2.
- H.-S. Kim, B.-K. Kim, S.-R. Kim, S.-H. Lee, and P.-S. Ma, "Sound absorption of micro-perforated elastic plates in a cylindrical impedance tube" (In Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 37, 181-187 (2018).
- COMSOL, COMSOL Multiphysics reference manual, version 4.4, 2013.
- H.-S. Kim, S.-R. Kim, S.-H. Lee, Y.-H. Seo, and P.-S. Ma, "Sound transmission loss of double plates with an air cavity between them in a rigid duct," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 139, 2324-2333 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4946987