- Volume 47 Issue 4
Hyaluronidase, an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid, has long been used to increase the absorption of drugs into tissue and to reduce tissue damage in cases of extravasation of a drug. With the increasing popularity of hyaluronic acid filler, hyaluronidase has become an essential drug for the correction of complications and unsatisfactory results after filler injection. For this reason, when performing procedures using hyaluronic acid filler, a sufficient knowledge of hyaluronidase is required. In order for hyaluronidase to dissolve a hyaluronic acid filler, it must interact with its binding sites within the hyaluronic acid. The reaction of a filler to hyaluronidase depends on the hyaluronic acid concentration, the number of crosslinks, and the form of the filler. Hyaluronidase is rapidly degraded and deactivated in the body. Therefore, in order to dissolve a hyaluronic acid filler, a sufficient amount of hyaluronidase must be injected close to the filler. If the filler is placed subcutaneously, injection of hyaluronidase into the filler itself may help, but if the filler is placed within a blood vessel, it is sufficient to inject hyaluronidase in the vicinity of the vessel, instead of into the filler itself. Allergic reactions are a common side effect of hyaluronidase. Most allergic reactions to hyaluronidase are local, but systemic reactions may occur in infrequent cases. Since most allergic responses to hyaluronidase are immediate hypersensitivity reactions, skin tests are recommended before use. However, some patients experience delayed allergic reactions, which skin tests may not predict.
- Bailey SH, Fagien S, Rohrich RJ. Changing role of hyaluronidase in plastic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 2014;133:127e-132e.
- Cavallini M, Gazzola R, Metalla M, et al. The role of hyaluronidase in the treatment of complications from hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. Aesthet Surg J 2013;33:1167-74.
- DeLorenzi C. Transarterial degradation of hyaluronic acid filler by hyaluronidase. Dermatol Surg 2014;40:832-41.
- Rzany B, Becker-Wegerich P, Bachmann F, et al. Hyaluronidase in the correction of hyaluronic acid-based fillers: a review and a recommendation for use. J Cosmet Dermatol 2009; 8:317-23.
- Menzel EJ, Farr C. Hyaluronidase and its substrate hyaluronan: biochemistry, biological activities and therapeutic uses. Cancer Lett 1998;131:3-11.
- Jiang D, Liang J, Noble PW. Hyaluronan in tissue injury and repair. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 2007;23:435-61.
- DeLorenzi C. New high dose pulsed hyaluronidase protocol for hyaluronic acid filler vascular adverse events. Aesthet Surg J 2017;37:814-25.
- Zhu GZ, Sun ZS, Liao WX, et al. Efficacy of retrobulbar hyaluronidase injection for vision loss resulting from hyaluronic acid filler embolization. Aesthet Surg J 2017;38:12-22.
- Wasserman RL. Overview of recombinant human hyaluronidase-facilitated subcutaneous infusion of IgG in primary immunodeficiencies. Immunotherapy 2014;6:553-67.
- Kim HJ, Kwon SB, Whang KU, et al. The duration of hyaluronidase and optimal timing of hyaluronic acid (HA) filler reinjection after hyaluronidase injection. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2018;20:52-7.
- Mio K, Carrette O, Maibach HI, et al. Evidence that the serum inhibitor of hyaluronidase may be a member of the inter-alpha-inhibitor family. J Biol Chem 2000;275:32413-21.
- Rao V, Chi S, Woodward J. Reversing facial fillers: interactions between hyaluronidase and commercially available hyaluronic-acid based fillers. J Drugs Dermatol 2014;13:1053-6.
- Jones D, Tezel A, Borrell M. In vitro resistance to degradation of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers by ovine testicular hyaluronidase. Dermatol Surg 2010;36:804-9.
- Wang M, Li W, Zhang Y, et al. Comparison of intra-arterial and subcutaneous testicular hyaluronidase injection treatments and the vascular complications of hyaluronic acid filler. Dermatol Surg 2017;43:246-54.
- Lee W, Oh W, Oh SM, et al. Comparative effectiveness of different interventions of perivascular hyaluronidase. Plast Reconstr Surg 2020;145:957-64.
- Dunn AL, Heavner JE, Racz G, et al. Hyaluronidase: a review of approved formulations, indications and off-label use in chronic pain management. Expert Opin Biol Ther 2010; 10:127-31.
- Kim MS, Youn S, Na CH, et al. Allergic reaction to hyaluronidase use after hyaluronic acid filler injection. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2015;17:283-5.
- Feighery C, McCoy EP, Johnston PB, et al. Delayed hypersensitivity to hyaluronidase (Hyalase) used during cataract surgery. Contact Dermatitis 2007;57:343.