- Volume 21 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study of Improving Combustion Stability with Sonic Wave Radiation
음파를 이용한 연소 안정성 개선에 관한 연구
- Min, Sun-ki (Division of Automotive Engineering, Ajou Motor College)
- 민선기 (아주자동차대학 자동차계열)
- Received : 2020.05.28
- Accepted : 2020.08.07
- Published : 2020.08.31
NOx (nitrogen oxide) in the exhaust gas engines causes severe air pollution. NOx is produced under high-temperature combustion conditions. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is normally used to reduce the combustion temperature and NOx production. As the EGR ratio increases, the NOx level becomes low. On the other hand, an excessively high EGR ratio makes the combustion unstable resulting in other air pollution problems, such as unburned hydrocarbon and higher CO levels. In this study, the improvement of fuel droplets moving by the radiation of sonic waves was studied for the stable combustion using analytic and experimental methods. For the analytical study, the effects of the radiation of a sonic wave on the fuel droplet velocity were studied using Fluent software. The results showed that the small droplet velocity increased more under high-frequency sonic wave conditions, and the large droplet velocity increased more under low-frequency sonic wave conditions. For the experimental study, the combustion chamber was made to measure the combustion pressure under the sonic wave effect. The measured pressure was used to calculate the heat release rate in the combustion chamber. With the heat release rate data, the heat release rate increased during the initial combustion process under low-frequency sonic wave conditions.
- Y. Cho, J. Koo, J. Kim, S. Kim, C. Bae, S. Oh, K. Kang, "Performance and emission characteristics in a spark-ignition LPG engine with exhaust gas recirculation", Proceedings of Fall KASE Conference 2000-03-2153 , KSAE, Korea, pp.211-216, Nov. 2000.
- H. Ha, J. Shin, S. Pyo, H. Jung, J. Kang, "A study on the strategy if fuel injection timing according to application of exhaust gas recirculation for off-road engine", Tansactions of KSAE, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.447-453, 2016 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2016.24.4.447 https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2016.24.4.447
- C. Park, C. Kim, "A study on oerating condition for gasoline-hybrid engine with EGR", Proceedings of Fall KASE Conference KASEE07-F0010 , KSAE, Korea, pp.60-65, Nov. 2000.
- I. Park, S. Hong, M. Sunwoo, "Gain-schedules EGR control algorithm for light-duty diesel engines with static-gain parameter modeling", International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol.18, No.4, pp.579-587, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-017-0058-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-017-0058-9
- T. Kim, C. Ha, H. Lee, J. Lee, K.Chun, "Effects of the intake venturi and throttle adaption on EGR rates and emissions in a HSDI diesel engine", Proceedings of Spring KSAE Conference KSAE03-S0032 , KSAE, Korea, pp.197-202, May 2003.
- B. Baek, S. Jang, O. Lim, "Fuel injection characteristics analysis based on fuel ratio of gasoline-biodiesel blended fuel by experiment", Proceedings of Spring KSAE Conference, KSAE, Korea, pp.332, May 2019.
- B. Kim, N. Miyamoto, "A study on the combustion characteristics of diesel fuel droplet with additive oxgenate and paraffin", Transactions of KSAE, Vol.14, No.2, pp.49-56, 2006.
- H. Kwak, C. Myung, S. Park, D. Chun, "Effect of EGR on engine performance and exhaust emission characteristics in LPLi engine", Proceedings of Industry-Academia Conference 2002, KSAE, Korea, pp.77-82, Nov. 2002.
- Y. Cho, J. Koo, J. Jang, C. Bae, "Performance and emission characteristics in a spark-ignition LPG engine with exhaust gas recirculation", Transactions of KSAE, Vol.10, No.1, pp.24-31, 2002.
- I. Park, S. Hong, M. Sunwoo, "Model-based gain scheduling strategy for air-to-fuel ratio control algorithm of passenger car diesel engines", Transactions of KSAE, Vol.23, No.1, pp.56-64, 2015. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2015.23.1.056 https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2015.23.1.056
- M. Lee, T. Lee, J. Ha, S. Chung, "A study on characteristics of soot formation in free fuel droplet array", Transactions of KSAE, Vol.7, No.2, pp.116-125, 1999.
- S. Im, Y. Jung, D. Choi, S. Cho, J. Ryu, "A Study on the application characteristics of ultrasonically irritated methane blened fuel in gasoline engine", Proceedings of Spring KSAE Conference KSAE06-S0029 , KSAE, Korea, pp.178-183, May. 2006.
- B. Lee, Y. Kim, "Effects of the smoke reduction of diesel engine operated with ultrasonic reformed fuel", Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 88-94, 2010
- S. Min, "A Study of Improving Fuel Droplet Movement with Sonic Wave Radiation", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 20, No. 12, pp. 608-613, 2019 DOI : https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.12.608 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.12.608
- Y. Cho, "A Study of spark ignition and early flame kernerl growth of propane-air mixture", Transactions of KSAE, Vol 7, No 4, pp. 68-75, 1999.
- S. Kim, H. Hiroyasu, "Comparison of the Sauter Mean Diameter Measured by Fraunhofer Diffraction Method and Phase Doppler Method", Transactions of KSAE No. 99370004, 1999.
- J. Woo, Y. Choi, D. Kim, J. Lee, "Effect of Swirl Angle on the Spray Chacteristics in Twin-Fluid Swirl Nozzle", Proceedings of Spring KSAE Conference, KSAE, Korea, pp.381-388, May 2008.
- S. Lee, K. Jeong, C. Jeon, Y. Chang, "A Study on the Comparison of the Combustion Characteristics among an IDI, a HSDI Diesel Engine and s SI Engine using One-Zone Heat Release Analysis", Transactions of KSAE, Vol 13, No 6, pp. 21-30, 2005.