- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship between the Stress of Clinical Practice and Compassion Competence in Nursing Students: The Mediating Effect of Nursing Professionalism
간호대학생의 임상실습 스트레스와 공감역량의 관계: 간호전문직관의 매개효과
- Jun, Won Hee (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- 전원희 (계명대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2020.06.06
- Accepted : 2020.07.18
- Published : 2020.08.31
Purpose: This study examined the mediating effects of nursing professionalism on the relationship between the stress of clinical practice and compassion competence in nursing students. Methods: A correlational research design was used in this study. The participants were 120 nursing students recruited from three universities in South Korea. Data were collected using the self-reporting scales of stress of clinical practice, nursing professionalism, and compassion competence. Baron and Kenny's regression method and the Sobel test were used to analyze the mediating effects of nursing professionalism on the association between the stress of clinical practice and compassion competence. Results: The mean score for compassion competence was above average. Of the compassion competence domains, sensitivity and insights had the highest and lowest scores, respectively; there were significant mean differences in compassion competence scores according to their grade and level of satisfaction with nursing major. Compassion competence correlated negatively with the stress of clinical practice, whereas it correlated positively with nursing professionalism. In addition, nursing professionalism exerted full mediating effects on the relationship between the stress of clinical practice and compassion competence. Conclusion: The results suggested that enhancing nursing professionalism could help promote compassion competence among nursing students who experience stress in clinical practice.
- Dewar B, Nolan M. Caring about caring: developing a model to implement compassionate relationship centred care in an older people care setting. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2013;50(9):1247-1258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.01.008
- Lee Y, Seomun G. Development and validation of an instrument to measure nurses' compassion competence. Applied Nursing Research. 2016;30(4):76-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2015.09.007
- Yeo HJ. Predictors of empathy for nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2017;18(1):177-184. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.177
- Kim HJ, Yi MS. Factors influencing empathy in nursing students in Korea. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2015;21(2):237-245. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.237
- Ward J, Cody J, Schaal M, Hojat M. The empathy enigma:an empirical study of decline in empathy among undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Professional Nursing. 2012;28(1):34-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.10.007
- Jeong HS, Lee KL. Empathy and clinical practice stress in nursing student. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(9):6044-6052. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.9.6044
- Hwang HM. Relationship among empathic ability, communication skill, and clinical practice stress in clinical practice of nursing students. Korean Journal of Health Communication. 2017;12(1):1-10. https://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2017.12.1.1
- Lim YJ. The impact of nursing students' emotional labor and clinical practice stress on burnout. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2017;17(6):461-474. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.6.461
- Park HJ, Jang IS. Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2010;16(1):14-23. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- Lee HJ, You YJ. The association of social welfare education and empathic practice among social workers: the mediating effect of professional identity. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Education. 2016;36:1-21.
- Parandeh A, Khaghanizade M, Mohammadi E, Nouri JM. Factors influencing development of professional values among nursing students and instructors: a systematic review. Global Journal of Health Science. 2015;7(2):284-293. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n2p284 https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n2p284
- Park HJ, Oh JW. The relationships of the clinical practice stress and the major satisfaction with the nursing professionalism of nursing college students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014;12(12):417-426. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417
- Lee YJ, Yang HM, Lee KJ. Effects of career identity, compassionate competence, and clinical practice stress on career adaptability among nursing students. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2019;19(20):1-14 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2019.19.20.1
- Beck DL, Srivastsva R. Perceived level and sources of stress in baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education. 1991;30(3):127-133.
- Kim SL, Lee JE. Relationship among stress, coping strategies, and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2005;11(1):98-106.
- Yoon EJ, Kwon YM, Ahn OH. Development of a nursing professional value scale. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;35(6):1091-1100. https://doi.org.kims.kmu.ac.kr/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091
- Han SS, Kim MH, Yun EK. Factors affecting nursing professionalism. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2008;14(1):71-79.
- Han SH. The effecting factors nursing professionalism in nursing student. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2018; 8(12):353-363. https://dx.doi.org/10.21742/AJMAHS.2018.12.85
- Cho YG, Kim HG, Lee JW. Influence of character strength and clinical practice stress on nursing profession of nursing student. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2019;19(1):1355-1368. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2019.19.1.1355
- Chung CH, Ko JO. The effects of gratitude disposition, self-esteem, and life orientation of nursing students on nursing professionalism. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2018;18(19);539-558. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2018.18.19.539
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986;51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Yeom EY. The Influence of communication competence, nursing professionalism, and emotional labor on clinical practice stress among nursing students. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2017;17(4):320-330. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.04.320 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.04.320
- Yang SY. The effect of self-esteem and communication competence on clinical practice stress of the nursing students. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2016;16(9):286-296. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.286
- Song JH, Kim MW. Study on clinical education for nursing in hospitals in Korea. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2013;19(2):251-264. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.251
- Durkina M, Gurbutt R, Carson J. Qualities, teaching, and measurement of compassion in nursing: a systematic review. Nurse Education Today. 2018;63:50-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.025
- Son H, Kim HS, Koh M, Yu SJ. Analysis of the communication education in the undergraduate nursing curriculum of Korea. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011;17(3):424-432.
- Ji EJ. Influence of nursing professionalism, empathic ability on communication ability in senior nursing student. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2014;16(3):1685-1697.
- Jeong HY, Kim SY. Effects of nursing professionalism and job involvement on turnover intention among new graduate nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2016;22(5):531-539. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.531
- Lee SH, Kim DH, Chae SU. Self-directed learning and professional values of nursing students. Nurse Education in Practice. 2019;42:102647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2019.102647