- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Lightweight End-to-End Blockchain for IoT Applications
- Lee, Seungcheol (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Lee, Jaehyun (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Hong, Sengphil (Vice President, HANCOM WITH) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hoon (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2019.09.14
- Accepted : 2020.07.10
- Published : 2020.08.31
Internet of Things (IoT) networks composed of a large number of sensors and actuators generate a huge volume of data and control commands, which should be enforced by strong data reliability. The end-to-end data reliability of IoT networks is an essential industrial enabler. Blockchain technology can provide strong data reliability and integrity within IoT networks. We designed a lightweight end-to-end blockchain network that applies to common IoT applications. Its enhanced modular architecture and lightweight consensus mechanism guarantee its practical applicability for general IoT applications. In addition, the proposed blockchain network is highly software compatible because it adopts the Hyperledger development environment. Directly embedding the proposed blockchain middleware platform in small computing devices proves its practicability.
- V. Buterin, "A next-generation smart contract and decentralized application platform," White Paper, pp.1-36, 2014.
- "EOS.IO, Technical White Paper," Github, 2018.
- Linux Foundation, Hyperledger Project.
- K. Cao, G. Xu, J. Zhou, M. Chen, "QoS-Adaptive Approximate Real-Time Computation for Mobility-Aware IoT Lifetime Optimization," IEEE trans. on Computer-aided Design of Integrated Circuit and Systems, Vol.38, No.10, pp. 1799 - 1810, 2019.
- J. Zhou, Z. Liu, X. Zhou, "Security-Critical Energy-Aware Task Scheduling for Heterogeneous Real-Time MPSoCs in IoT," IEEE Trans. on Service Computing, Early Access, vol.13, no.4, pp..745-758, 2020.
- G. Wang, Z.J. Shi, M. Nixon, S. Han, "ChainSplitter: Towards Blockchain-based Industrial IoT Architecture for Supporting Hierarchical Storage," in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Blockchain, 2019.
- T. Faika, T. Kim, J. Ochoa, M. Khan, S. Park, C. S. Leung, "A Blockchain-Based Internet of Things (IoT) Network for Security-Enhanced Wireless Battery Management Systems," in Proc. of IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, Baltimore, USA, 2019.
- S. Popov, "The tangle," cit. on, pp.1-28, 2018.
- IoT Chain: A high-security lite IoT OS White Paper.
- IoTeX-A Decentralized Network for Internet of Things.
- "XDAG: A new DAG-based cryptocurrencyWhite Paper," Github, 2018.
- S. Popov, "The Coordicide," 2020.
- IOTA, "Setup a Private Tangle,"
- IOTA, "Run IRI,"
- Alex Norta, "Smart-Contract Value-Transfer Protocols on a Distributed Mobile Application Platform," 2017.
- "CPChain White Paper 2.0," 2019.
- "Consensys White Paper," 2017.
- M. Wazid, A. K. Das, S. Shetty and M. Jo, "A Tutorial and Future Research for Building a Blockchain-Based Secure Communication Scheme for Internet of Intelligent Things," IEEE Access, Early Access Online Version, vol. 8, pp. 88700-88716, 2020.
- PoET 1.0 Specification.
- Linux Foundation, Hyperledger Sawtooth Seth.
- Linux Foundation, Hyperledger Sawtooth Project.
- L.M Goodman, "Tezos - a self-amending crypto-ledger White paper," pp.1-17, 2014.
- T. Hanke, M. Movahedi, and D. Williams, "Dfinity technology overview series, consensus system," arXiv preprint arXiv:1805.04548, 2018.
- C. Boettiger, "An introduction to Docker for reproducible research," ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, 49(1), pp71-79, 2015.
- D. Bernstein, "Containers and cloud: From lxc to docker to kubernetes," IEEE Cloud Computing, vol. 1, no. 3, pp.81-84, 2014.
- F. Tian, "A Supply Chain Traceability System for Food Safety Based on HACCP, Blockchain & Internet of Things," in Proc. of International Conference on Service System and Service Management, Dalian, China, 2017.
- M. Nakasumi, "Information Sharing for Supply Chain Management based on Block Chain Technology," in Proc. of IEEE 19th Conference on Business Informatics, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2017.