- Volume 47 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Primary repair of untreated cleft palate in an elderly patient: a case report
- Lee, Jun Sang (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Yeol (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Deok (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Song, Jae-Min (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Won Hyuk (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2019.06.14
- Accepted : 2019.09.11
- Published : 2021.02.28
Untreated adult or elderly cleft lip and palate patients are rarely seen, but studies on delayed primary palatal closure have been performed in the less developed Asian and African countries, where access to medical care is difficult. A 64-year-old woman visited our clinic with untreated cleft palate with a 40×20-mm-wide defect in the medial palate. Two-flap palatoplasty under general anesthesia was performed to close the cleft palate. After 1 month, the result was favorable without any complications including oronasal fistula. Cleft palate primary repair in an elderly patient is rare and has some surgical problems that are associated with a wide range of defects, but good results can be obtained if surgery is performed well with appropriate considerations.
- Rohrich RJ, Love EJ, Byrd HS, Johns DF. Optimal timing of cleft palate closure. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000;106:413-21; quiz 422; discussion 423-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-200008000-00026 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-200008000-00026
- Hoppenreijs TJ. Primary palatorraphy in the adult cleft palate patient. Surgical, prosthetic and logopaedic aspects. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 1990;18:141-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1010-5182(05)80507-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/s1010-5182(05)80507-4
- Bardach J, Roberts DM, Yale R, Rosewall D, Mooney M. The influence of simultaneous cleft lip and palate repair on facial growth in rabbits. Cleft Palate J 1980;17:309-18.
- Ross RB. Treatment variables affecting facial growth in complete unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate J 1987;24:5-77.
- Bruneel L, Luyten A, Bettens K, D'haeseleer E, Dhondt C, Hodges A, et al. Delayed primary palatal closure in resource-poor countries: speech results in Ugandan older children and young adults with cleft (lip and) palate. J Commun Disord 2017;69:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2017.06.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2017.06.010
- Schwarz R, Bhai Khadka S. Reasons for late presentation of cleft deformity in Nepal. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2004;41:199-201. https://doi.org/10.1597/03-016 https://doi.org/10.1597/03-016
- Bardach J. Two-flap palatoplasty: Bardach's technique. Oper Tech Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;2:211-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-0949(06)80034-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-0949(06)80034-X
- Dorf DS, Curtin JW. Early cleft palate repair and speech outcome. Plast Reconstr Surg 1982;70:74-81. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-198207000-00015 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-198207000-00015
- Cosman B, Falk AS. Delayed hard palate repair and speech deficiencies: a cautionary report. Cleft Palate J 1980;17:27-33.
- Morris HL. Future prospects: the outlook for speech. In: Huddart AG, Ferguson MJW, eds. Cleft lip and palate: long-term results and future prospects. Manchester: Manchester University Press; 1990:292-6.
- Morioka D, Yoshimoto S, Udagawa A, Ohkubo F, Yoshikawa A. Primary repair in adult patients with untreated cleft lip-cleft palate. Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;120:1981-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.prs.0000287322.79619.de https://doi.org/10.1097/01.prs.0000287322.79619.de
- Ward CM, James I. Surgery of 346 patients with unoperated cleft lip and palate in Sri Lanka. Cleft Palate J 1990;27:11-5; discussion 15-7. https://doi.org/10.1597/1545-1569(1990)027<0011:sopwuc>2.3.co;2 https://doi.org/10.1597/1545-1569(1990)027<0011:sopwuc>2.3.co;2