- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Visual Analog Scale and Knee Function Index on the Muscle Strength and Muscle Endurance of the Knees of Male National Field-Hockey Athletes
국가대표 남자 필드하키 선수들의 무릎의 시각적 상사 척도와 무릎 기능평가가 무릎의 근력 및 근지구력에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hyun-Chul (Department of Medicine and Science, Korean Sport & Olympic Committee) ;
- Park, Ki-Jun (Department of Physical Therapy, Sangji University)
- Received : 2020.09.26
- Accepted : 2020.12.30
- Published : 2021.02.28
PURPOSE: This study examined the effects of the Visual Analog Scale (VAS) and knee function index on the knee strength and endurance in the national male field-hockey athletes. METHODS: Twenty-four male field-hockey athletes with a painful knee who trained at the national training center in 2019 were enrolled. The VAS and knee function index questionnaire were used to evaluate the degree of pain and functional state of the knee. The muscle strength and endurance of the knee were measured by Biodex (System 4, USA). The Pearson product moment correlation was performed to examine the effects of the VAS and knee function index the of knee on the strength and endurance. In addition, the VAS and knee function index and muscle strength and muscle endurance were examined to determine the relationship using Simple Linear Regression. The statistical significance level was α=.05. RESULTS: An analysis of the correlation between VAS and knee function index and muscle strength and muscle endurance revealed the VAS and knee function index to be statistically significant (r = .700). In addition, the extensor muscle strength, knee VAS (r = -.457), and knee function index (r = -.414) were also statistically significant. A 1-point increase in the VAS and knee function index was associated with an approximately 9.881 and 1.006 extensor muscle strength. CONCLUSION: The VAS and knee function index of field-hockey athletes are related to the strength of the knee extensors. Therefore, field-hockey athletes should develop a program to strengthen the extensor muscle strength of the knee.
- International Hockey Federation. (2020). http://www.fih.ch/?redirect=internal
- Han SW, Lee MH, Kim JH, et al. Analysis of Korea woman filed hockey players' sports injuries during the game : To KT cup international hockey game. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2003;15(3):414-8.
- Korea Hockey Association. (2020). http://www.koreahockey.co.kr
- Lee KJ, Lee JY, Lim JW. Relative age effect in domestic hockey players. The Korean journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education and Sports Scienc. 2019;21(2):81-91.
- Lee MO, Lee WY, Lee MC, et al. Creatine supplementation and power training program for 12 weeks on body composition and performance in female hockey players. J Korean Soc Living Environ Sys. 2010;17(1):104-13.
- Palmer-Green G, Fuller C, Jaques R, et al. The injury/illness performance project(IIPP): A novel epidemiological approach for recording the consequences of sports injuries and illnesses. Journal of Sports Medicine. 2013;27:1-9.
- Steffen K, Engebretsen L. More data needed on injury risk among young elite athletes. Br J Sports Med. 2010;44(7):485-59.
- Kim CW, Park KJ. Injuries in female elite Korean field hockey athletes: An epidemiological study. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2019;14(4):163-71.
- Koumantakis GA, Watson PJ, Oldham JA. Trunk muscle stabilization training plus general exercise versus general exercise only : randomized controlled trial of patients with recurrent low back pain. Physical Therrapy. 2005; 85(3):209-25.
- Tonali P, Padua L, Sanguinetti C, et al. Outcome research and patient oriented measures in the multiperspective assessment of neurological and musculoskeletal disorders. Ital J Neurol Sci. 1999;20:139-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100720050022
- Selfe J, Harper L, Pedersen I, et al. Four outcome measures for patellofemoral joint problems: Part 1. development and validity. Physiotherapy. 2001;87(10):507-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(05)65448-X
- Kim HC, Park KJ. Analysis of Correlation Between Knee Function Score and Knee Strength and Muscular Endurance According to the position of Elite Female Handball Athletes. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2020;15(3): 127-33.
- Boonstra AM, Schiphorst Preuper HR, Reneman MF, et al. Reliability and validity of the visual analogue scale for disability in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Int J Rehabil Res. 2008;31(2):165-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/MRR.0b013e3282fc0f93
- An SJ, Lee JH. Reliability and validity of the Korean version of the functional movement screen. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(5):83-93.
- Kim SY, Lee JH, An SH. The effects of a functional movement screen on pain and performance ability in professional fencing players. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2011;23(1):21-8.
- Selfe J, Harper L, Pederse, I, et al. Four Outcome Measures for Patellofemoral Joint Problems: Part 1. Development and validity, Physiotherapy. 2001;87(10):507-15.
- Kim HC, Park KJ. Analysis of correlation between the inspiratory capacity of the National softball players and the bone density, muscle power, muscle endurance. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2020;15(1):95-104.
- Baker JH, Anderson GL, Gu JM, et al. Experimental study of the relationship between alteration in tissue perfusion and anastomotic patency. Microsugery. 1993;14(6):409-15.
- Choi DI, Jung TO, Jin YH, et al. Clinically meaningful reduction in pain severity by using a unidimensional scale and verbal categorical rating of pain. J Korean Soc Emerg Med. 2003;14(1), 66-70.
- Edwards RR, Fillingim RB. Self-reported pain sensitivity Lack of correlation with pain threshold and tolerance. Eur J Pain. 2007;11(5):5948.
- Rosenbloom BN, McCartney SKC, Katz J. Systematic Review of Persistent Pain and Psychological Outcomes Following Traumatic Musculoskeletal Injury. Journal of Pain Research. 2013;6:39-51. https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S38878
- Oiestad BE, Juhl CB, Eitzen I, et al. Knee extensor muscle weakness is a risk factor for development of knee osteoarthritis. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2015;23(2):171-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2014.10.008
- Slemenda C, Heilman DK, Brandt KD, et al. Reduced quadriceps strength relative to body weight: a risk factor for knee osteoarthritis in women? Arthritis Rheum. 1998;41(11):1951-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1529-0131(199811)41:11<1951::AID-ART9>3.0.CO;2-9
- Segal NA, Torner JC, Felso D, et al. Effect of thigh strength on incident radiographic and symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in a longitudinal cohort. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61(9):1210-7.
- Hootman JM, FitzGerald SJ, Macera CA, et al. Lower extremity muscle strength and risk of self-reported hip or knee osteoarthritis. J Phys Act Health. 2004;1(4): 321-30. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.1.4.321
- Segal NA, Glass NA. Is quadriceps muscle weakness a risk factor for incident or progressive knee osteoarthritis? Phys Sportsmed. 2011;39(4):44-50. https://doi.org/10.3810/psm.2011.11.1938
- Bennell KL, Wrigley TV, Hunt MA, et al. Update on the role of muscle in the genesis and management of knee osteoarthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2013; 39(1):145-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rdc.2012.11.003
- Palmieri-Smith RM, Thomas AC. A neuromuscular mechanism of posttraumatic osteoarthritis associated with ACL injury. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2009 37(3), 147-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/JES.0b013e3181aa6669
- Andriacchi TP, Mundermann A, Smith RL, et al. A framework for the in vivo pathomechanics of osteoarthritis at the knee. Ann Biomed Eng. 2004;32(3):447-57. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:ABME.0000017541.82498.37
- Devan MR, Pescatello LS, Faghti P, et al. A prospective study of overuse knee injuries among female athletes with muscle imbalances and structural abnormalities. J Athl Train. 2004;39(3):2637.
- Post WR. Patellofemoral pain: let the physical exam define treatment. Phys Sportsmed. 1998; 26(1):6878.
- Huberti HH, Hayes WC. Patellofemoral contact pressures. Theinfluence of q-angle and tendofemoral contact. J Bone JointSurg Am. 1984;66(5):71524.
- Almeida G, Silva APMC, Franca FHR, et al. Q-angle in patellofemoral pain: relationship with dynamic knee valgus, hip abductor torque, pain and function. Rev Bras Ortop. 2016;51(2):1816.
- Motealleh A, Mohamadi M, Moghadam MB, et al. Effects of core neuromuscular training on pain, balance, and functional performance in women with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a clinical trial. J Chiropr Med. 2019;18(1):9-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2018.07.006
- Shiraishi M, Mizuta H, Kubota K et al. Stabilometric assessment in the anterior cruciate ligament-reconstructed knee. Clin J Sport Med. 1996;6(1):32-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042752-199601000-00008
- Nissen CW, Cullen MC, Hewett LE, et al. Physical and arthroscopic examination techniques of the patellofemoral joint. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;28(5):27785.
- Lee KT, Kim JS, Choi BO. Analysis of seasonal injuries in professional football player. J Korean Orthop Sports Med. 2006;5(2)135-40.