- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study about Expanding into International Markets through International Apparel Fairs -Emphasis on the Las Vegas Magic Show-
의류 수주전시회를 통한 해외 시장 진출 방안에 관한 연구 -라스베이거스 매직쇼(Magic Show)를 중심으로-
- Lim, Jisook (Dept. of Fashion Business, Graduate School of Fashion, Hongik University)
- 임지숙 (홍익대학교, 패션대학원, 패션비즈니스과)
- Received : 2021.01.19
- Accepted : 2021.02.24
- Published : 2021.02.28
Apparel fairs are business platforms specializing in selling fashion products. As the largest apparel fair in the United States and with the highest number of animated buyers in the entire world, the Las Vegas Magic Show utilizes this distribution platform to the greatest extent by sustaining over 90,000 buyers annually. In accordance, the exhibiting companies also participate in commercial functions by striving to promote brand awareness to consumers as they carefully plan to increase actual sales and secure new customers. Domestically, numerous organizations such as the Trade Promotion Administration, the Korean Apparel Association, and KOTRA(Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency) present similar international apparel fairs to strongly encourage domestic companies to exhibit at international apparel fairs. However, many companies fail to succeed in achieving actual results, which frequently causes them to attend the shows for the short term only. This may occur due to the lack of research on apparel order-writing exhibitions by academia and proactive workers. This research study was based on the careful observation and analysis of the three most recent years of Magic exhibitor attendees' operations and changes to accomplish the final objective of presenting a basic guideline to attend an international apparel exhibition.
- 2019 August. WWDMAGIC Floor Plan. (n.d). Magic. Retrieved November 10, 2020, from https://magicaug19.mapyourshow.com/8_0/floorplan/?hallID=S
- 2020 February. MAGIC Show Floor Plan. (2020). Magic. Retrieved November 29, 2020, from https://magic20.mapyourshow.com/8_0/floorplan/
- 2020 February. WWDMAGIC Floor Plan. (2020). Magic. Retrieved November 29, 2020, from https://magicfeb20.mapyourshow.com/8_0/floorplan/?hallID=N
- Apparel Manufacturing in the US, 2019. (2020, December 22). KOTRA. Retrieved February 8, 2021, from https://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalAllBbs/ kotranews/album/2/globalBbsDataAllView.do?dataIdx=185431
- Apparel & Fashion Trade Show Calendar. (2019). Wholesalecnetral. Retrieved September 6, 2020, from https://www.wholesalecentral.com/trade-shows/trade-show-results.html
- Bae, J. K., & Kim, J, W. (2004). An analysis of participating style of participating company in fashion related exhibition. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 6(1), 71-77.
- CEIR. (2019). 2019 CEIR index report: An analysis of the 2018 exhibition industry and future outlook. Retrieved August 31, 2020, from https://www.ceir.org
- Choi, S. W. (2009). A study on trade fair participating strategy for medium-to-small enterprises' global marketing (Unpublished master's thesis). Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, Korea.
- Hong, Y. S. (2017, June 19). 美 LA '매직쇼' 9월 26-28일 일본 도쿄 개최 [US 'Masic show' will be held in Tokyo, Japan on September 26-28]. Fashionbiz. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from http://www.fashionbiz.co.kr
- Im, E. B. (2019, March 19). Fashion is in the air: 2019 F/W seoul fashion week kicks off. The Korea Herald. Retrieved August 31, 2020, from http://news.koreaherald.com
- KINTEX. (n.d.). 전시홀 [Exhibiton hall]. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from https://www.kintex.com
- Kim, H. E. (2016). An investigation into the nurturing strategy of korean young designers in the international market expansion: Based on London's young designers' support programs. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 18(3), 272-281. doi:10.5805/sfti.2016.18.3.272
- Kim, J. W. & Bae. J. K. (2003). The analysis of fashion exhibition. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 5(3), 244-250.
- KOCCA. (2017). 2016 국내외 패션 유통 구조 및 실태조사 -미국 시장을 중심으로 [A study on the domestic and foreign fashion distribution structure and actual condition - Focused on united states market]. Retrieved October 20, 2020, from https://www.kocca.kr
- Lee, J. J. (2004). 패션과 명품 [Fashion and brand name products]. Seoul: Salrimbook.
- Magic Las Vegas. (n.d.). Expohour. Retrieved September 10, 2020, from https://www.expohour.com
- Magic Marketplace. (n.d.). Apparel search. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from https://www.apparelsearch.com/trade_shows/magic_fashion_fabric_trade_show.htm
- Results for Fame. (n.d.). Retrieved August 31, 2020, from https://womenssept19.mapyourshow.com/8_0/#/searchtype/show/search/FAME/show/all
- Results for Moda. (n.d.). Retrieved August 31, 2020, from https://womenssept19.mapyourshow.com/8_0/#/searchtype/show/search/MODA/show/all
- Revenue in the Apparel Market in Billion US $. United State. (2020, September 24). Retrieved December 19, 2020, from https://commonthreadco.com/blogs/coachs-corner/fashion-ecommerce-trends-data
- Revenue in the Apparel Market, 2017. (2018, April 15). Retrieved December 19, 2020, from https://www.weeklytrade.co.kr/news/view.html?section=1&category=5&no=39645
- Shin, S. Y., & Kim, M. J. (2008). An exploratory study on strategic alliances between korean small and middle fashion companies and korean-american fashion companies -Focused on analysis of marketing strategies of korean-american fashion companies in LA. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 16(4), 646-660. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2008.16.4.646
- Suh, J. (1998). The distribution system in the american fashion industry. Journal of Fashion Business, 2(3), 23-30.
- Top 15 Apparel (2019). Exponents Co. Ltd. Retrieved August 31, 2020, from https://www.exponents.com/our-blog/top-15-apparel-trade-shows-in-the-unitedstates-of-america
- US Apparel Import Trends (2019). KOTRA Co. Ltd. Retrieved February 8, 2021, from https://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalAllBbs/kotranews/album/2/globalBbsDataAllView.do?dataIdx=185431
- Velotta, R. N. (2016, February 17). MAGIC trade show continues to grow as Las Vegas convention staple. Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved August 30, 2020, from https://www.reviewjournal.com