- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Wearing Status and Purchase Behavior of Sports Knee Braces
스포츠 무릎보호대의 착용 실태 및 구매 행동에 관한 연구
- Oh, Hee Kyung (Dept. of Fashion Design, Ansan Design Culture High School) ;
- Oh, Kyung Wha (Dept. of Fashion, College of Arts Chung-Ang University)
- 오희경 (안산디자인문화고등학교 패션디자인과) ;
- 오경화 (중앙대학교 예술대학 패션전공)
- Received : 2020.06.02
- Accepted : 2020.08.13
- Published : 2021.04.30
This survey provides research into developing knee braces to protect the knee against damage, reduce knee pain, and strengthen the knee. A total of 235 surveys were conducted from December 2019 to January 2020. The subjects were adults in their 20s and over who lived in the Seoul metropolitan area and had experience of using knee braces. In terms of age differences, subjects over 60 years of age purchased knee braces mostly to secure a reduction of pain (ROP), whereas subjects in their 20s and 30s purchased knee braces for physical shock protection (PSP). Subjects in their 40s and 50s purchased knee braces for improvement of muscle movement (IMM). There was no significant difference in shape, material, and locking method based on the reason for wearing the knee brace. These results show that it is conceivable and maybe preferable to produce different knee braces-with a variety of shapes, materials, and locking materials-according to the reason behind wearing a knee brace. Knee braces are worn currently without any differentiation despite the findings of this study. In particular, we argue the need for functional and differentiated development of knee braces specifically for PSP, ROP, and IMM.
- Bang, H.-M. (2006). Effect of kinesio taping on isokinetic muscular function and pain of knee joint in elderly women. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 6(12), 226-234.
- Bottoni, G., Kofler, P., Hasler, M., Giger, A., & Nachbauer, W. (2014). Effect of knee braces on balance ability wearing ski boots (a pilot study). Procedia Engineering, 72, 327-331. doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2014.06.057 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.06.057
- Choi, J., Park, H., Lee, W., & Hong, K. (2016). Effects of 3D compression pants and Kinesio taping on isokinetic muscular function of leg during knee joint flexion motion. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 40(2), 240-257. doi: 10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.2.240 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.2.240
- Han, K.-H., & Lim, B.-O. (2007). The effects of knee brace on the knee muscular neuro-biomechanical variables during the rebound in female highschool basketball players. Korean Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 17(4), 107-113. doi:10.5103/KJSB.2007.17.4.107 https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2007.17.4.107
- Han, K.-H., & Lim, B.-O. (2009). Mechanism and risk factors of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in female athletes. Kinesiology, 11(3), 61-83.
- Han, S.-J., & Ro. S.-K. (1989). A survey on the sports injuries in athletes. Research Bulletin of Research Institute for Physical Education & Sports Science Kangweon National University, (14), 29-51.
- Hong, K. H., & Lee, H. (2020). Development of hip protectors for snowboarding utilizing 3D modeling and 3D printing. Fashion and Textiles, 7:39. doi:10.1186/s40691-020-00236-3 https://doi.org/10.1186/s40691-020-00236-3
- Kim, D., Kim, B., Kwon, O.-Y., & Park, K. (2018). Effects of knee balance taping therapy on knee pain and range of motion in the elderly. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(6), 213-222. doi:10.14400/JDC.2018.16.6.213 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.6.213
- Kim, E. A., & Lee, J. W. (2005). Effects of Balance Taping Therapy on the pain and range of motion of the knee joint in the female elderly with degenerative knee arthritis. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 11(1), 30-38.
- Kim, J.-W., Yoon, C.-S., Lee, Y.-K., Cho, M.-S., & Choi, Y.-L. (2016). Analysis of sports injury and first aid types of college athletes. Sport Science, 33(2), 65-79.
- Kim, N. Y., & Hong, K. (2016). The effect of compression knee band and heat treatment on blood velocity of the elderly with osteoarthritis. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 18(5), 716-723. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.5.716 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.5.716
- Kim, S. N., & Oh, K. W. (2018). A comparative study on purchase behavior of athleisure wear by segmental market according to sports and leisure participation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 42(6), 1025-1038. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2018.42.6.1025 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2018.42.6.1025
- Kito, N. (2016). Musculoskeletal physical therapy topics. Congress of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association, 43(Suppl. 1) (The 50th Annual Seminar of JPTA), 16-21. doi:10.14900/cjpt.43.16 https://doi.org/10.14900/cjpt.43.16
- Lee, H., & Hong, K. H. (2019). Survey on injuries during snowboarding and wearing satisfaction to develop snowboard protector. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 21(4), 497-508. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.4.497 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.4.497
- Lee, J. S., Choi, M. H., & Moon, H. W. (2019). The effect of the wearing of knee sleeve on pedestrian capacity by age in 20s and 60s. The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, 27(2), 107-113. doi:10.34284/KJGD.2019.05.27.2.107 https://doi.org/10.34284/KJGD.2019.05.27.2.107
- Lee, H., & Lee, Y. (2016). Design characteristics and fit evaluation of sport protective gear for elementary school lower grades. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 25(6), 787-800. doi: 10.5934/kjhe.2016.25.6.787 https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2016.25.6.787
- Lim, B.-O. (2007). Does a knee brace decrease recurrent anterior cruciate ligament injuries? Health & Sports Medicine ; Official Journal of KACEP, 9(1), 103-109.
- Mitsuno, T. (2019). 衣服圧の応用-着圧ウエアへの可能性- [Application of garment pressure-Possibility for compression wear-]. Journal of the Japan Research Association for Textile End-Uses, 60(3), 231-235. doi:10.11419/senshoshi.60.3_231 https://doi.org/10.11419/senshoshi.60.3_231
- Sato, K. (1994). General principle of Sports Orthesis. Bulletin of the Japanese Society of Prosthetics and Orthotics, 10(4), 256-259. doi:10.11267/jspo1985.10.256 https://doi.org/10.11267/jspo1985.10.256