- Volume 7 Issue 2
An Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm for Care Worker Scheduling
- Akjiratikarl, Chananes (Industrial Engineering Program Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology, Thammasat University) ;
- Yenradee, Pisal (Industrial Engineering Program Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology, Thammasat University) ;
- Drake, Paul R. (e-Business Division The University of Liverpool Management School)
- Published : 2008.09.30
Home care, known also as domiciliary care, is part of the community care service that is a responsibility of the local government authorities in the UK as well as many other countries around the world. The aim is to provide the care and support needed to assist people, particularly older people, people with physical or learning disabilities and people who need assistance due to illness to live as independently as possible in their own homes. It is performed primarily by care workers visiting clients' homes where they provide help with daily activities. This paper is concerned with the dispatching of care workers to clients in an efficient manner. The optimized routine for each care worker determines a schedule to achieve the minimum total cost (in terms of distance traveled) without violating the capacity and time window constraints. A collaborative population-based meta-heuristic called Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is applied to solve the problem. A particle is defined as a multi-dimensional point in space which represents the corresponding schedule for care workers and their clients. Each dimension of a particle represents a care activity and the corresponding, allocated care worker. The continuous position value of each dimension determines the care worker to be assigned and also the assignment priority. A heuristic assignment scheme is specially designed to transform the continuous position value to the discrete job schedule. This job schedule represents the potential feasible solution to the problem. The Earliest Start Time Priority with Minimum Distance Assignment (ESTPMDA) technique is developed for generating an initial solution which guides the search direction of the particle. Local improvement procedures (LIP), insertion and swap, are embedded in the PSO algorithm in order to further improve the quality of the solution. The proposed methodology is implemented, tested, and compared with existing solutions for some 'real' problem instances.
Supported by : University of Liverpool Management School
- Allahverdi, A. and Al-Anzi, F. S. (2006), A PSO and a tabu search heuristics for the assembly scheduling problem of the two-stage distributed database application, Computers and Operations Research, 33, 1056-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2004.09.002
- Braysy, O., Dullaert, W., and Gendreau, M. (2004), Evolutionary algorithms for the vehicle routing problem with time windows, Journal of Heuristics, 10, 587- 611. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10732-005-5431-6
- Chiang, W. and Russell, R. (1996), Simulated annealing methaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem with time windows, Annals of Operations Research, 63, 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02601637
- Clerc, M. (1999), The swarm and the queen: towards a deterministic and adaptive particle swarm optimization, Proceeding of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (Washington DC), Piscataway, NJ IEEE service center, 1951-1957.
- Desrochers, M., Lentra, J., Savelsbergh, M., and Soumis, F. (1988), Vehicle routing with time windows: optimization and approximation, Vehicle Routing: Methods and Studies, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 64-84.
- Desrochers, M., Desrosiers, J., and Solomon, M. (1992), A new optimization algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with time windows, Operations Research 40, 342-354. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.40.2.342
- Eberhart, R. C. and Kennedy, J. (1995), New optimizer using particle swarm theory, Proceeding of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, Piscataway, NJ IEEE service center, Nagoya, Japan, 39-43.
- Eberhart, R. C. and Shi, Y. (2001), Particle swarm optimization: developments, applications, and resources, Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (Seoul Korea), Piscataway, NJ IEEE
- Fisher, M. L., Jornsten, K. O., Madsen, O. B. G. (1997), Vehicle routing with time windows: two optimization algorithms, Operations Research, 45, 488-492. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.45.3.488
- Gambardella, L. M., Taillard, E., and Agazzi, G. (1999), MACS-VRPTW: A multiple ant colony system for vehicle routing problems with time windows, New Ideas in Optimization, McGraw-Hill, (Also available as, Technical Report IDSIA-06-99, IDSIA, Lugano, Switzerland).
- Garcia, B. L., Potvin, J. Y., and Rousseau, J. M. (1994), A parallel implementation of the tabu search heuristic for vehicle routing problems with time window constraints, Computers and Operations Research, 21, 1025-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0548(94)90073-6
- Homberger, J. and Gehring, H. (2005), A two-phase hybrid metaheuristic for routing problems with time windows, European Journal of Operational Research, 162, 220-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.01.027
- Hwa, F., Liu, F., Shen, S. Y. (1999), A route-neighborhoodbased metaheuristic for vehicle routing problem with time windows, European Journal of Operational Research, 128, 485-504.
- Jerald, J., Asokan, P., Prabaharan, G., and Saravanan, R. (2005), Scheduling optmisation of flexible manufacturing systems using particle swarm optmisation algorithm, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 25, 964-971. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-003-1933-2
- Kennedy, J. and Eberhart, R. C. (1995), Particle swarm optimization, Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks IV, Piscataway, NJ IEEE service center, 1942-1948.
- Kolen, A. W. J., Rinnooy, Kan A. H. G., and Trienekens, H. W. J. M. (1987), Vehicle routing with time windows, Operations Research, 35, 266-273. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.35.2.266
- Lin, S. and Kernighan, B. W. (1973), An effective heuristic algorithm for the Traveling Salesman problem, Operations Research, 21, 498-516. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.21.2.498
- Polacek, M., Hartl, R. F., Doerner, K., and Reimann, M. (2004), A variable neighborhood search for the multi depot vehicle routing problem with time windows, Journal of Heuristics, 10(6), 613-627. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10732-005-5432-5
- Potvin, J. Y. and Rousseau, J. M. (1993), A parallel route building algorithm for the vehicle routing and scheduling problem with time window, European Journal of Operational Research, 66, 331-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(93)90221-8
- Potvin, J. Y. and Rousseaw, J. M. (1995), Exchange heuristic for routing problems with time windows, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 46, 1433-1446. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1995.204
- Potvin, J., Kervahut, T., Garcia, B., and Rousseau, J. (1996), The vehicle routing problem with time windows, part I: tabu search, Informs Journal of Computing, 8, 158-164. https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.8.2.158
- Potvin, J. Y. and Bengio, S. (1996), The vehicle routing problem with time windows-partII: genetic search, Informs Journal of Computing, 8, 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.8.2.165
- Savelsbergh, M. W. P. (1990), An efficient implementation of local search algorithms for constrained routing problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 47, 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(90)90091-O
- Shi, Y. and Eberhart, R. C. (1998), Parameter selection in particle swarm optimization, Proceedings of the 7th international Conference on Evolutionary Programming VII, New York, Springer-Verlag, 591-600.
- Solomon, M. M. (1987), Algorithms for the vehicle routing and scheduling problem with time window constraints, Operations Research, 35, 254-265. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.35.2.254
- Solomon, M. and Desrosiers, J. (1988), Time window constrained routing and scheduling problem, Transportation Science, 22, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1287/trsc.22.1.1
- Taillard, E., Badeau, P., Gendreau, M., Guertin, F., and Potvin, J., (1997), A tabu search heuristic for the vehicle routing problem with soft time windows, Transportation Science, 31, 170-186. https://doi.org/10.1287/trsc.31.2.170
- Tan, K. C., Lee, L. H., Zhu, Q. L., and Ou, K. (2001), Heuristic methods for vehicle routing problem with time windows, Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, 15, 281-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0954-1810(01)00005-X
- Tasgetiren, M. F., Liang, Y. C., Sevkli, M., and Gencyilmaz, G. (2004), Particle swarm optimization algorithm for single machine total weighted tardiness problem, IEEE, 1412-1419.
- Tasgetiren, M. F., Liang, Y. C., Sevkli, M., and Gencyilmaz, G. (2007), Particle swarm optimization algorithm for makespan and total flowtime minimization in permutation flowshop sequencing problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 177, 1930- 1947. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2005.12.024
- Thangiah, S. R., Osman, I. H., and Sun, T. (1994), Hybrid genetic algorithm, simulated annealing and tabu search methods for vehicle routing problems with time windows, Technical report SRU-CpSc-TR-94-27, Computer Science Department, Slippery Rock University.
- Xia, W. and Wu, Z. (2005), An effective hybrid optimization approach for multi-objective flexible job-shop scheduling problems, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 48, 409-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2005.01.018
- Zhang, H., Li, H., and Tam, C. M. (2006), Particle swarm optimization for resource-constrained project scheduling, International Journal of Project Management, 24, 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.06.006