- Volume 11 Issue 3
This paper proposes a new coding technique for constructing error correcting high rate DC-free multimode code using a generator matrix generated from a sparse parity-check matrix. The scheme exploits high rate generator matrixes for producing distinct candidate codewords. The decoding complexity depends on whether the syndrome of the received codeword is zero or not. If the syndrome is zero, the decoding is simply performed by expurgating the redundant bits of the received codeword. Otherwise, the decoding is performed by a sum-product algorithm. The performance of the proposed scheme can achieve a reasonable DC-suppression and a low bit error rate.
- K. A. S. Immink, Codes for Mass Data Storage Systems, Shannon Foundation Publishers, Netherlands, 1990.
- K. A. S. Immink, "A survey of codes for optical disk recording," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 756-764, April 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/49.920183
- K. A. S. Immink and W. Y. H. Wilson, "A comparison of two schemes for generating DC-free RLL sequences," International Symposium on Information Theory, pp. 352, June 2000.
- W. Coene, "Combi-codes for DC-free runlength-limited coding," IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1082-1087, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.920465
- G. L. Pierobon, "Codes for zero spectral density at zero frequency," IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 435-439, March 1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1984.1056858
- K. A. S. Immink, "EFMPlus: the coding format of the multimedia compact disc," IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 491 - 497. Aug. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.468040
- D. E. Knuth, "Efficient balanced codes," IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 51-53, Jan. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1986.1057136
- K. A. S. Immink and L. Patrovices, "Performance assessment of DC-free multimode codes," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 293-299, March 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.558690
- K. A. S. Immink, "Weakly constrained codes," lEE Electronics Letters, vol. 33, no. 23, pp. 1943-1944, Nov. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19971361
- I. J. Fair, Q. Wang and V. K. Bhargava, "Polynomial for guided scrambling line codes," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 13, no.3, pp. 449-509, April 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/49.345890
- S. Lin and D. J. Costello, Error Control Coding: Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- D. J. C. Mackay and R. M. Neal, "Near Shannon limit performance of low density parity check codes," lEE Electronics Letters, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 457-458 Mar. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19970362
- Z. Wu, Coding and iterative detection for magnetic recording channels, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
- P. Lee and J. K. Wolf, "Combined error correction/modulation codes," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol. 23, pp. 3681-3683, Sept. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.1987.1065193
- J. Lee and V. K. Madisetti, "Error correcting run-length limited codes for magnetic recording," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol. 31, pp. 3084-3086, Nov. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.490277
- A. Patapoutian and P. V. Kumar, "The (d, k) subcode of a linear block code," IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, vol. 38. pp. 1375-1382, July 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.144720