- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
FURTHER EVALUATION OF A STOCHASTIC MODEL APPLIED TO MONOENERGETIC SPACE-TIME NUCLEAR REACTOR KINETICS
- Ha, Pham Nhu Viet (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Kyung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2010.10.01
- Accepted : 2011.06.01
- Published : 2011.12.25
In a previous study, the stochastic space-dependent kinetics model (SSKM) based on the forward stochastic model in stochastic kinetics theory and the Ito stochastic differential equations was proposed for treating monoenergetic space-time nuclear reactor kinetics in one dimension. The SSKM was tested against analog Monte Carlo calculations, however, for exemplary cases of homogeneous slab reactors with only one delayed-neutron precursor group. In this paper, the SSKM is improved and evaluated with more realistic and complicated cases regarding several delayed-neutron precursor groups and heterogeneous slab reactors in which the extraneous source or reactivity can be introduced locally. Furthermore, the source level and the initial conditions will also be adjusted to investigate the trends in the variances of the neutron population and fission product levels across the reactor. The results indicate that the improved SSKM is in good agreement with the Monte Carlo method and show how the variances in population dynamics can be controlled.
- J. J. Duderstadt and L. J. Hamilton, Nuclear Reactor Analysis, John Wiley and Sons, New York, p. 233 (1976).
- D. L. Hetrick, Dynamics of Nuclear Reactors, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1971).
- Y. Ronen, CRC Handbook of Nuclear Reactors Calculations, Vol. II, p. 219, CRC Press, Florida (1986).
- W. M. Stacey, Space-Time Nuclear Reactor Kinetics, Academic Press, New York (1969).
- W. M. Stacey, Nuclear Reactor Physics, John Wiley and Sons, New York (2001).
- T. M. Sutton and B. N. Aviles, "Diffusion Theory Methods for Spatial Kinetics Calculations," Pro. Nucl. Energy, 30, 119 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0149-1970(95)00082-U
- Jr. H. Hurwitz et al., "Kinetics of Low Source Reactor Startups Part I," Nucl. Sci. Eng., 15, 166 (1963). https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE63-3
- Jr. H. Hurwitz et al., "Kinetics of Low Source Reactor Startups Part II," Nucl. Sci. Eng., 15, 187 (1963). https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE63-4
- D. B. MacMillan and M. L. Storm, "Kinetics of Low Source Reactor Startups Part III," Nucl. Sci. Eng., 16, 369 (1963). https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE63-A26547
- P. N. V. Ha and J. K. Kim, "A Stochastic Approach to Monoenergetic Space-time Nuclear Reactor Kinetics," J. Nucl. Sci. Technol., 47, 705 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3327/jnst.47.705
- E. J. Allen, Modeling with Ito Stochastic Differential Equations, Springer, New York (2007).
- J. G. Hayes and E. J. Allen, "Stochastic Point-kinetics Equations in Nuclear Reactor Dynamics," Ann. Nucl. Energy, 32, 572 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2004.11.009
- P. E. Kloeden and E. Platen, Numerical Solution of Stochastic Differential Equations, Springer, New York (1995).
- J. R. Lamarsh and A. J. Baratta, Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, 3rd ed., p. 266, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2001).
- A Stochastic Analysis of Power Doubling Time for a Subcritical System vol.31, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/07362994.2013.777287
- Stochastic model for the nonlinear point reactor kinetics equations in the presence Newtonian temperature feedback effects vol.23, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10236198.2017.1308507