- Volume 48 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Antibiotic Resistance and Plasmid Profile of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Strains Isolated from Kyunggi-Incheon Coastal Area
경기인천 연안에서 분리된 장염비브리오균의 항생제 내성 및 플라스미드 보유 현황
- Han, A-Rheum (Division of Bioengineering, University of Incheon) ;
- Yoon, Young-June (Division of Bioengineering, University of Incheon) ;
- Kim, Jung-Wan (Division of Bioengineering, University of Incheon)
- Received : 2012.02.16
- Accepted : 2012.03.16
- Published : 2012.03.31
Vibrio parahaemolyticus is one of the major agents responsible for food poisoning during summer in Korea, which is transmitted via seawater or seafoods. Recently, distribution of the bacteria in the marine environment has been increased due to global warming. Great concern also has been raised regarding public hygiene as well as marine culture by the emergence of pathogens with antibiotic resistance. Therefore, distribution of V. parahaemolyticus and antibiotic resistance of the isolates were monitored in 7 coastal areas of Kyonggi Province and Incheon by sampling seawater, fishes and clams monthly. V. parahaemolyticus was detected from 47.7% of 966 samples (seawater 61.9%, seafoods 41.8%) analyzed using
Supported by : 인천대학교
- Akinbowale, O.L., Peng, H., and Barton, M.D. 2006. Antimicrobial resistance in bacteria isolated from aquaculture sources in Australia. J. Appl. Microbiol. 100, 1103-1113. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.02812.x
- Alagappan, K.M., Devivasigamani, B., Somasundaram, S.T., and Kumaran, S. 2010. Occurance of Vibrio parahaemolyticus and its specific phages from shrimp ponds in east coast of India. Curr. Microbiol. 61, 235-240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-010-9599-0
- Aoki, T. and Takahashi, A. 1987. Class D tetracycline resistance determinants of R-plasmids from fish pathogens Aeromonas hydrophila, Edwardsiella tarda and Pasteurella piscisida. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 31, 1278-1280. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.31.8.1278
- Bauer, H.W., Kirby, W.M.M., Sherris, J.C., and Turk, M. 1966. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 45, 493-496. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/45.4_ts.493
- Chong, Y. and Lee, K. 1998. Antimicrobial susceptibility of bacteria isolated from Korean patients. Microb. Ind. 24, 1-11.
- Chung, Y.H., Jeoung, H.H., Kwon, Y.I., and Kim, H.R. 2006. The monitoring of antibiotic resistant bacteria from environment (River and Downstream). Ann. Report KFDA. 10, 1022-1023.
- Davies, J.E. 1997. Origins, acquisition and dissemination of antibiotic resistance determinants. Ciba F. Symp. 207, 15-27; discussion 27-35.
- Devie, R., Surendran, P.K., and Chakraborty, K. 2009. Antibiotic resistance and plasmid profiling of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from shrimp farms along the southwest coast of India. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 25, 2005-2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-009-0101-8
- Fujino, T., Okuno, Y., Nakada, D., Aoyama, A., Fukai, K., Mukai, T., and Ueho, T. 1953. On the bacteriological examination of shirasu food poisoning. Med. J. Osaka Univ. 4, 299-304.
- Han, F., Walker, R.D., Janes, M.E., Prinyawiwatkul, W., and Ge, B. 2007. Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Vibrio vulnificus isolates from Louisiana Gulf and retail raw oysters. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73, 7096-7098. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01116-07
- Hwang, I.G., Kwak, H.S., Kim, M.K., Han, J.A., Park, Y.C., Kim, E.J., Lee, G.Y., Yoon, H.S., Lee, J.S., Cho, J.H., and et al. 2008. Monitoring and evaluation of antimicrobial resistance of foodborne pathogenic bacteria. Ann. Report KFDA. 12, 191-192.
- Joseph, S.W., DeBell, R.M., and Brown, W.P. 1978. In vitro response to chloramphenicol, tetracycline, ampicillin, gentamicin, and beta-lactamase production by halophilic vibrios from human and environmental sources. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 13, 244-248. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.13.2.244
- Kitiyodom, S., Khemtong, S., Wongtavatchai, J., and Chuanchuen, R. 2010. Characterization of antibiotic resistance in Vibrio spp. isolated from farmed marine shrimps (Penaeus monodon). FEMS Microbiol. Lett. Ecol. 72, 219-227. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2010.00846.x
- Kuhl, S.A., Pattee, P.A., and Baldwin, N.J. 1978. Chromosomal map location of the methicillin resistance determinant in Staphylococcus aureus. J. Bacteriol. 135, 460-465.
- Kumar, P.A., Patterson, J., and Karpagam, P. 2009. Multiple antibiotic resistance profiles of Vibrio choleae non-O1 and non-O139. Jpn. J. Infect. Dis. 62, 230-232.
- Lee, T.S. 2005. Establishment of antimicrobials management systems for aquaculture. Ann. Report KFDA. 9, 422-423.
- Lee, K. and Park, P. 2010. Antibiotic-resistance profiles and the identification of the ampicillin-resistance gene of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from Seawater. Kor. J. Fish Aquat. Sci. 43, 637-641. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.6.637
- Li, J.J., Yie, R., Foo, W.T., Ling, J.M.L., Xu, H., and Woo, N.Y.S. 1999. Antibiotic resistance and plasmid profiles of vibrio isolates from cultured silver sea bream, Sparus sarba. Mar. Pollt. Bull. 39, 245-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(99)00062-4
- Martinez, J.L. and Baquero, F. 2000. Mutation frequencies and antibiotic resistance. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 44, 1771-1777. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.44.7.1771-1777.2000
- Mudryk, Z. 2005. Occurrence and distribution antibiotic resistance of heterotrophic bacteria isolated from a marine beach. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 50, 80-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2004.10.001
- Rowe-Magnus, D.A. and Mazel, D. 2002. The role of integrons in antibiotic resistance gene capture. Int. J. Med. Microbiol. 292, 115-125. https://doi.org/10.1078/1438-4221-00197
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F., and Maniatis, T. 1989. Molecular cloning : A laboratory manual, pp. 142-152. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, USA.
- Sanjeev, S. 1999. Incidence, enteropathogenicity and antibiotic sensitivity of V. parahaemolyti-cus from a brackish water culture pond. Fish. Technol. 36, 13-18.
- Schwartz, T., Kohenen, W., Jansen, B., and Obst, U. 2003. Detection of antibiotic resistant bacteria and their resistant genes in wastewater, surface water, and drinking water biofilms. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 43, 325-335. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2003.tb01073.x
- Shanthini, C.F., Kumar, P.A., and Patterson, J. 2004. Incidence and antibiotic susceptibility of Vibrio parahaemolyticus from sea foods of Tuticorin. Indian J. Fish. 51, 43-47.
- Shirai, H., Ito, H., Hirayama, T., Nakabayashi, Y., Kumagai, K., Takeda, Y., and Nishibuchi, M. 1990. Molecular epidemiologic evidence for association of thermostable direct hemolysin (TDH) and TDH-related hemolysin of Vibrio parahaemolyticus with gastroenteritis. Infect. Immun. 58, 3568-3573.
- Son, J.C., Park, S.W., and Min, K.J. 2003. Environmental and antimicrobial characteristics of Vibrio spp. isolated from fish, shellfish, seawater and brackish water samples in Gyeongbuk Eastern Coast. Kor. J. Environ. Hlth. 29, 94-102.
- Taniguchi, H., Hirano, H., Kubomura, S., Higashi, K., and Mizuguchi, Y. 1986. Comparison of the nucleotide sequences of the genes for the thermostable direct hemolysin and the thermolabile hemolysin from Vibrio parahaemolyticus. Microb. Pathog. 1, 425-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/0882-4010(86)90004-5
- Yoon, Y.J., Kim, D.Y., Lee, U.Y., Koh, Y.H., Kim, S.K., and Kim, J.W. 2000. Isolation and identification of Vibrio species contaminated in imported frozen seafoods. J. Food Hyg. Safety 15, 128-136.
- Antibiotic Susceptibility of Vibrio spp. Isolated from West Sea vol.49, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.3028
- Food-borne outbreaks, distributions, virulence, and antibiotic resistance profiles of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in Korea from 2003 to 2016: a review vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s41240-018-0081-4
- Characterization of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from oysters in Korea: Resistance to various antibiotics and prevalence of virulence genes vol.118, pp.1-2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.02.070
- Antimicrobial-resistance Profiles and Virulence Genes of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Isolated from Seawater in the Wando Area vol.47, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0220
- Production of Monoclonal Antibodies against Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Development of High Sensitive Immuno-Selective Filtration Method vol.31, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2016.31.1.21
- Antimicrobial Resistance and Minimum Inhibitory Concentrations of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Strains Isolated from Gomso Bay, Korea vol.49, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0582
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Vibrio alginolyticus isolated from oyster in Korea vol.23, pp.20, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-016-7426-2
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from oysters in Korea vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5650-9