- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Wired/Wireless LED Lighting Communication Using Reconfigurable Peripheral Unit
재구성형 주변장치유닛을 사용한 유무선 LED 조명 통신
- Yoo, Sehoon (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Gong, Jungchul (CDS Power IC Group, Samsung Electro- Mechanics Co. Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Kichul (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2013.10.18
- Accepted : 2013.10.28
- Published : 2013.12.30
In this paper, a reconfigurable peripheral unit for LED lighting communication is presented. Embedded lighting devices require various communication protocols. Usually, serial communication protocols and lighting control communication protocols such as DALI, DMX512, UART, SPI, IrDA, etc. are used in lighting devices. When the requirements of communication protocols are satisfied with separate IPs, the cost and the power consumption can considerably increase. We propose a reconfigurable communication peripheral unit which uses analysis of signal formats of the protocols. The gate count of the reconfigurable peripheral unit uses only 57% of the gate count of the separate implementation. Also, in this paper, a mapping table based DALI-ZigBee interfacing method for flexible lighting network configurations is proposed. Using this method, various DALI-ZigBee network systems can be easily set up. An LED lighting system platform is implemented to verify the operation of the DALI-ZigBee interfacing method. The reconfigurable peripheral unit and the DALI-ZigBee interfacing method can be efficiently used to implement various wired/wireless lighting communication systems.
- Cypress Semiconductor, "PowerPSoC intelligent LED driver," http://www.cypress.com, April 2012.
- NXP Semiconductors, "Single-chip 16-bit/32-bit microcontrollers: 8kB/16kB/32kB flash with ISP/IAP, fast ports and 10-bit ADC," http://www.nxp.com, June 2009.
- STMicroelectronics, "8-bit MCU with single voltage flash memory, data EEPROM, ADC, timers, SPI, DALI," http://www.st.com, Nov. 2004.
- M. K. Saxena, E. Bhatnagar and S. N. Kulkarni, "Reconfigurable architecture for IP peripherals," International Conference on Signals and Electronic Systems, Poland, pp.347-350, Sep. 2010.
- S. Yoo, S. Song, C. Park, J. Gong, and K. Kim, "Multi-function unit for LED lighting," International SoC Conference (ISOCC), pp. 447-450, Nov. 2012.
- Orama, "Wi-Fi DALI Integrated LED Lighting Control System," http://www.oramainc.com, 2013.
- Wi-Light, "Wi-Light: a wireless light controller family," http://www.wi-light.com, Dec. 2010.
- IEC, "Digital addressable lighting interface - Part 102: General requirements : Control gear," International Electrotechnical Commission, June 2009.
- ESTA, "American national standard E1.11-2008 entertainment technology, USITT DMX512-A: asynchronous serial digital data transmission standard for controlling lighting equipment and accessories," Entertainment Services and Technology Association, April 2008.
- IrDA, "Serial infrared physical layer specification version 1.4," Infrared Data Association, May 2001.
- Motorola, "SPI block guide V04.01," http://www.freescale.com, July 2004.
- ZigBee Alliance, "ZigBee specification," http://www.zigbee.org, Jan. 2008.