- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Influence of Track Alignment on Ride Comfort and Safety of KTX
방향틀림이 KTX 주행거동에 미치는 영향 분석
- Choi, Il-Yoon (Advanced High-speed Railroad Systems Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Um, Ju-Hwan (On-demand Transit Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Man-Cheol (Advanced High-speed Railroad Systems Research Division, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.09.04
- Accepted : 2013.03.26
- Published : 2013.04.28
Track irregularities is one of the key factors influencing the running behavior of trains. In order to ensure safety and ride comfort of train, the criteria for track irregularities should be adequately established regarding vehicle velocity, vehicle characteristics, characteristics of the track recording car, and measurement interval. Also, track maintenance should be carried out thoroughly according to the criteria for managing track irregularities. Numerical analysis was conducted to investigate the influence of track alignment on the running behavior of Korean high speed train(KTX). Various wavelengths and amplitudes of lateral alignment were considered as parameters for this study using the Vampire program, a vehicle dynamics modeling package in railway environment. Derailment, lateral load, bogie acceleration and body acceleration of numerical analysis results due to alignment were investigated. Finally, the influence of the alignment on safety and ride comfort for the KTX was evaluated. This study indicates that alignment irregularities have significant impacts on running safety, and that the criteria used to manage alignment irregularities should be restrictive to ensure the running safety of the KTX.
- Magdy El-Sibaie, David Jamieson, David C. Tyrell, J. Christopher Dorsey, et al. (1997) Engineering Studies in Support of the Development of High-Speed Track Geometry Specifications, IEEE/ASME Joint Railroad Conference, Boston.
- K.-D. Kang (2004) A study of analysis method for the track geometry measuring data on high speed railway, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 7(4), pp. 291-295
- S.-S. Kim, C.-S. Park (2008) High speed rail measurement system of HSR-350x, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 11(2), pp. 115-119
- Y.-S. Shim, K.-D. Kim, S.-U. Lee, B.-K. Woo, K.-W. Lee (2010) A study on high speed railway track deterioration prediction, Spring Conference of Korean Society for Railway, Changwon, pp. 261-267.
- Y.-S. Lim, I.-Y. Choi (2011) Characteristics of the running behavior for tilting train due to alignment based on numerical analysis, Autumn Conference of Korean Society for Railway, Jeju, pp. 3187-3194.
- I.-Y. Choi, J.-H. Um, Y.-S. Lim (2010) Characteristics of the Running behavior and Safety for Tilting train due to Vertical Alignment, Spring conference of Korean Society for Railway, Changwon, pp. 1937-1942
- I.-Y. Choi, Y.-S. Lim (2011) Characteristics of the Running behavior and Safety for KTX due to Twist, Autumn Conference of Korean Society for Railway, Jeju, pp. 337-342.
- I.-Y. Choi, D.-H. Koo, S.-Y. Hwang, Y.-S. Lim (2010) Analysis on safety and ride comfort of KTX according to track surface, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(6), pp. 583-588.
- European Standard. Railway Applications-Track - Track geometry quality - Part 1: Characterisationof track geometry (2008) BS EN 13848-1.
- European Standard. Railway Applications-Track - Track geometry quality - Part 5: Geometric quality levels (2008) BS EN 13848-5.
- Testing and approval of railway vehicles from the point of view of their dynamic behaviour - Safety - Track fatigue - Running behaviour (2009) UIC 518.