- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Health-related lifestyle and self-reported symptoms in dental hygiene students
일부 치위생과 학생의 건강관련 생활습관과 자각증상
- Kwon, Soon-Suk (Department of Dental Laboratory Technology, Kyungdong University) ;
- Han, Su-Jin (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Gachon University)
- Received : 2014.05.07
- Accepted : 2014.08.11
- Published : 2014.08.30
Objectives : The study investigated and analyzed the relationship between health-related lifestyle and psychosomatic self-reported symptom in dental hygiene students. Methods : A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 478 dental hygiene students in Gyeonggi-do and Gangwon-do from March 7 to June 21, 2012 by random sampling method after informed consent. Results : The health-related lifestyle showed the results as follows. Nonsmokers accounted for 89.1%. Those who never exercise accounted for 67.9% and 37.9% of the students sleep for 5-6 hours. Those who take alcohols twice per month accounted for 58.2%. The correlation between the symptoms and lifestyle included multiple subjective symptoms(I), respiratory(A), eyes and skin(B) and digestive organs(C) symptoms and smoking status(p<.01), mouth and anal(D), depression(K), nervousness(E). There existed the correlation in average sleeping time(p<.01) and impulsivess(H) and smoking status(p<.05) and lie scale(L) and regular exercise(p<.05) and aggressiveness(F) and drinking habits and irregular and life(G) and breakfast habits. The smoking habit, sleeping time, and snack intake had an influence on psychosomatic self-reported oral health-related symptoms. Conclusions : Cessation of smoking, adequate sleeping time, and reduction of snack intake can improve the oral health-related lifestyle and reduce the self-reported symptoms in the dental hygiene students.
- Yoo YG, Choi SK, Hwang SJ, Kim HS. Risk factors of breast cancer according to life style. J Korea Cont Assoc 2013; 13(4): 262-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.262. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.262
- Kim TY. Lifestyle modification for cancer prevention. The Korean J Medicine 2003; 65(1): 136-40.
- Kim YI. Correlations among lifestyle and health status. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 1994; 2(1): 53-63.
- Cho SG. A study on the relationship of job stressors and lifestyle behaviors to psychosocial wellbeing status among hospital workers[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
- Brevard PB, Rickettes CD. Residence of college students affects dietary intake, physical activity, and serum lipid levels. J Am Diet Assoc 1996; 96(1): 35-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(96)00011-9
- Lee MS. Female college students food ingest pattern and meridian massage treatment effect of obesity management on the lower part of the body[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Sungshin women's, 2006.
- Lee HY. Study on relation factors of oral health behaviors: based on health promotion model[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2001.
- Kim SD, Kim MG. The relation of life style and quality of sleep in university students'. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2013; 14(6): 2795-801. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2795. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2795
- Lee SU, Oh CM, Oh IH, Yoon TY, Choi JM. Effect of lifestyle modification program on blood pressure improvement in patients with hypertension. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2010; 27(4): 105-12.
- Breslow L, Enstrom JE. Lee JM. Persistence of health habits and their relationship to mortality. Prev Med 1980; 9(4): 469-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(80)90042-0
- Oh HS, Min SH. A study on dietary attitudes of college students in Wonju areas. J Korean Food Culture 2001; 16(3): 215-24.
- Kim IS, Yu HH, Han HS. Effects of nutrition knowledge, dietary attitude, dietary habits and life style on the health of college students in the Chungnam area. Korean J Community Nutr 2002; 7(1): 45-57.
- Song YLA, Nam EW. Social capital and health in south Korea: considering socio-economic factors and health-related lifestyles. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2009; 26(5): 71-84.
- Cho TR, Park EO. Health promoting lifestyles of Korean employees. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 1998; 7(1): 33-46.
- Kwon SS, Moon HJ. A study of the psychosomatic self-reported symptom of dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(4): 413-21.
- Lim MH, Ku IY, Choi HS. A study on the relationship of self-efficacy to stressors and stress adaptation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 811-22.
- Kwak TH. Relationship between 7 health habits (Alameda 7) and health-related quality of life[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2005.
- Lee JM, Kim WJ, Sohn HS, Chun JH, Lee MJ, Park HS. Influences on Health Behaviors Execution and Self Rated Health as Socioeconomic Class by the Age Bracket. J Korea Cont Assoc 2012; 12(6): 317-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.317. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.317
- Kang BW. Public health. 2nd ed. Seoul: Hyunmoom; 2005: 11-14.
- Kim CS, Bae SM, Shin BM. Nutritional status of Korean elderly by oral health level-based on 2009 national health and nutrition survey data. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(6): 833-41.
- Lee KH, Kim SK. A study relationship between dental health perception and practice of college students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 845-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2013.13.05.845. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.845
- Lee SL, Go EK, Choi JH. Smoking condition of students in dental hygiene and relations with self-esteem in a local district. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(1): 123-33. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.123
- Kim HK, Kim EJ, Lee MS, Um MR, Ma DS, Choi YK. A research on the actual smoking state and awareness of some dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(2): 241-7.
- Jung JY. A study on the knowledge of dental hygiene students on smoking and the state of smoking. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2007; 7(3): 317-27.
- Park ES. A study of the body weight perception, living habits and food intake frequency by residence type in female college students of Chenbuk area. Korean J Human Ecology 2013; 22(1): 215-29. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2013.22.1.215
- Kim SR. Differences in mental health of the elderly according to religious experiences and activities[Master's thesis]. Chungnam: Univ. of Hanseo, 2012.
- Kim YH. Factors that affect periodic health examination screening of the middle and senior citizens[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2013.
- Shin MS, Moon HJ, Lee JT. A study on the health promotion behavior of dental hygiene students: the case of Gyeonggi province. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(2): 73-80.
- Kim GS, Lee CY, Kim IS, Lee TH, Cho EH, Lee HK, et al. Assessing correlates of physical activity levels in female university students. J Korean Public Health Nurs 2013; 27(3): 466-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.466. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.466