- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Immediate Effect of Fabric Ankle Foot Orthosis on Balance in Children With Unilateral Cerebral Palsy
- Sim, Yon-Ju (Dept. of Physical Therapy, The Graduate School, Yonsei University) ;
- Yang, You-Jin (Dept. of Physical Therapy, The Graduate School, Sahmyook University) ;
- Yi, Chung-Hwi (Dept. of Physical Therapy, College of Health Science, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2015.03.21
- Accepted : 2015.05.01
- Published : 2015.05.21
Balance control deficits have been indicated to be a primary problem among cerebral palsy (CP) patients. Fabric ankle foot orthosis (AFO) can allow more efficient balance control by facilitating proprioception. The purpose of this study was to investigate the immediate effect of fabric AFO on balance, compared to a barefoot condition in children with unilateral CP. Twelve children with unilateral CP participated in this study. Their balance ability was evaluated using pediatric balance scale and bubble test. Both pediatric balance scale and bubble test showed significant improvement with the use of the fabirc AFO (p<.05). The fabric AFO could improve functional balance ability, and promote better balance among children with unilateral CP. We demonstrated that fabric AFO contributed to improving balance among children with unilateral CP, classified as Gross Motor Function Classification System level I and II. Consequently, fabric AFO might be an assistive device leading to the improvement of balance instead of the typical AFOs.
- Bateni H. Changes in balance in older adults based on use of physical therapy vs the wii fit gaming system: A preliminary study. Physiotherapy. 2012;98(3):211-216. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2011.02.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2011.02.004
- Bennett F. The effectiveness of early intervention for infants at increased biologic risk. The effectiveness of early intervention for at-risk and handicapped children. Orlando, FL, Academic Press Inc., 1987:79-112.
- Berg KO, Maki BE, Williams JI, et al. Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in an elderly population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992;73(11):1073-1080.
- Bleck EE. I. Cerebral palsy hip deformities: Is there a consensus? II. Botulinum toxin a: A clinical experiment. J Pediatr Orthop. 1994;14(3):281-282. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-199405000-00001
- Christovao TC, Pasini H, Grecco LA, et al. Effect of postural insoles on static and functional balance in children with cerebral palsy: A randomized controlled study. Braz J Phys Ther. 2015;19(1): 44-51. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/bjpt-rbf.2014.0072 https://doi.org/10.1590/bjpt-rbf.2014.0072
- Clark RA, Bryant AL, Pua Y, et al. Validity and reliability of the nintendo wii balance board for assessment of standing balance. Gait posture. 2010; 31(3):307-310. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.11.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.11.012
- Correa J, Correa F, Franco R, et al. Corpral oscillation during static biped posture in children with cerebral palsy. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2006;47(3):131-136.
- D'Addio G, Iuppariello L, Gallo F, et al. Comparison between clinical and instrumental assessing using wii fit system on balance control. Medical Measurements and Applications (MeMeA), 2014 IEEE International Symposium on. 2014:1-5.
- Daher N, Lee S, Yang YJ. Effects of elastic band orthosis (aider) on balance and gait in chronic stroke patients. Phys Ther Rehabil Sci. 2013; 2(2):81-86. https://doi.org/10.14474/ptrs.2013.2.2.81
- Docherty CL, Arnold BL, Zinder SM, et al. Relationship between two proprioceptive measures and stiffness at the ankle. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2004;14(3):317-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(03)00035-X
- Du Pasquier RA, Blanc Y, Sinnreich M, et al. The effect of aging on postural stability: A cross sectional and longitudinal study. Neurophysiol Clin. 2003;33(5):213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucli.2003.09.001
- Edwards S. Neurological Physiotherapy: A problem solving approach. 2nd ed. London, Churchill Livingstone, 2002:16.
- Ferdjallah M, Harris GF, Smith P, et al. Analysis of postural control synergies during quiet standing in healthy children and children with cerebral palsy. Clin Biomech. 2002;17(3):203-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(01)00121-8
- Franjoine MR, Gunther JS, Taylor MJ. Pediatric balance scale: A modified version of the berg balance scale for the school-age child with mild to moderate motor impairment. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2003;15(2):114-128. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PEP.0000068117.48023.18
- Goble DJ, Cone BL, Fling BW. Using the wii fit as a tool for balance assessment and neurorehabilitation: The first half decade of "wii-search". J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2014;11:12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-11-12 https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-11-12
- Gracies JM. Pathophysiology of spastic paresis. I: Paresis and soft tissue changes. Muscle Nerve. 2005;31(5):535-551. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20284
- Hwang YI, An DH, Yoo WG. Effects of the dual AFO on gait parameters in stroke patients. NeuroRehabilitation. 2012;31(4):387-393. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/NRE-2012-00808 https://doi.org/10.3233/NRE-2012-00808
- Hillier S, Immink M, Thewlis D. Assessing proprioception: A systematic review of possibilities. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2015:1545968315573055
- Jantakat C, Ramrit S, Emasithi A, et al. Capacity of adolescents with cerebral palsy on paediatric balance scale and berg balance scale. Res Dev Disabil. 2015;36C:72-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.09.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.09.016
- Jelsma J, Pronk M, Ferguson G, et al. The effect of the nintendo wii fit on balance control and gross motor function of children with spastic hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Dev Neurorehabil. 2013;16(1):27-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/17518423.2012.711781 https://doi.org/10.3109/17518423.2012.711781
- Kim HJ, Chun MH, Kim HM, et al. Effects on foot external rotation of the modified ankle-foot orthosis on post-stroke hemiparetic gait. Ann Rehabil Med. 2013;37(4):516-522. http://dx.doi.org/10.5535/arm.2013.37.4.516 https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2013.37.4.516
- Morris C. A review of the efficacy of lower-limb orthoses used for cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2002;44(3):205-211. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0012162201001943
- Murphy N, Such-Neibar T. Cerebral palsy diagnosis and management: The state of the art. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care. 2003;33 (5):146-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1538-5442(03)00002-6
- Newell K, Slobounov S, Slobounova B, et al. Short-term non-stationarity and the development of postural control. Gait posture. 1997;6(1):56-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(96)01103-4
- Pavao SL, dos Santos AN, Woollacott MH, et al. Assessment of postural control in children with cerebral palsy: A review. Res Dev Disabil. 2013;34(5):1367-1375. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2013.01.034 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2013.01.034
- Raine S, Meadows L, Lynch-Ellerington M. Bobath Concept: Theory and clinical practice in neurological rehabilitation. 1st ed. Oxford, Wiley- Blackwell, 2009;123-125.
- Ramstrand N, Ramstrand S. AAOP state-of-the-science evidence report: The effect of ankle-foot orthoses on balance-a systematic review. J Prosthet Orthot. 2010;22(10):4-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/JPO.0b013e3181f379b7
- Sim YJ, Lee DR, Yi CH. Immediate effect of fabric ankle-foot orthosis on spatiotemporal gait parameters in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Phys Ther Korea. 2014;21(1):29-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2014.21.1.029 https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2014.21.1.029