- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Factory-Style and Handmade-Style Ssamjang
공장 및 수공업 생산 쌈장의 품질 특성
- Kim, Seok Young (Department of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Bo Ram (Department of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoo, Seon Mi (Department of Agro-food Resources, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2015.11.16
- Published : 2016.01.31
This study investigated the quality characteristics of factory-style ssamjang (FSS) and commercial handmade-style ssamjang (HSS) products. Moisture, crude protein, and crude fat contents were significantly higher in the HSS groups (49.37~62.12%, 9.39~13.46%, and 4.40~8.35%) than the FSS groups (41.94~45.83%, 7.50~9.09%, and 1.81~3.36%). Salt content was higher in the HSS groups (6.33~11.18%) than the FSS groups (6.10~7.57%). Moreover, the average salt content (7.51%) of the HSS groups and the FSS groups was lower than that of commercial ssamjang (8.73%). Hunter's color value was also significantly higher in the FSS groups. However, free sugar, organic acid, and free amino acids contents varied greatly between the FSS groups and the HSS groups, which was likely due to the different manufacturing method, ripening degree of doenjang and the main material used for ssamjang.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Kim YG, Kim SJ, Han MS, Chang YI, Chang KS. 2005. Physico-chemical changes of commercial ssamjang during storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 389-396.
- Kim HW. Jang-ryu market trends and technology demand in field. http://www.soyworld.org/kboard/kboard.php?board=thesis&act=view&no=788&page=52&search_mode=&search_word=&cid= (accessed Sep 2015).
- Seo JS, Lee TS, Shin DB. 2001. The study on the characteristics of commercial samjangs. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 382-387.
- Korean Agricultural Economic Association. Study on the future challenges and development strategy of small scalefood processing industry. http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/theme/retrieveThemeDetail.do;jsessionid=011D790F55ED1A07575F051D87293A5C.node02?cond_research_name=&cond_organ_id=&cond_research_year_start=&cond_research_year_end=&cond_brm_super_id=NB000120061201100016465&research_id=1543000-201400055&pageIndex=13&left-MenuLevel=110 (accessed Oct 2015).
- Ma JH. Reduction of food-borne pathogenic bacteria in traditional fermented food. http://rnd.mfds.go.kr/innorix/innofd/index.jsp?cd1=document&cd2=result&cd3=101360&pdfYn=Y (accessed Mar 2015).
- Chang YI. 2008. Globalization of Korean jang products (focused on the USA market). Food Science and Industry 41(3): 28-46.
- Kim DH. 2008. Processing industries and marketing of soybean food in Korea. Page No 86 presented at International Symposium on quality improvement and globalization of soybean traditional foods. Miryang, Korea.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 8-35.
- Hamilton LF, Simpson SG. 1964. Precipitation methods. In Quantitative Chemical Analysis. 12th ed. Macmillan Publishing Co., New York, NY, USA. p 284-297.
- Kim OS, Sung JM, Ryu HS. 2012. Antioxidative activity and quality characteristics of Kochujang amended with different ratios of deodeok (Condonopsis lanceolata) root powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 22: 667-676.
- Miller GL. 1959. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal Chem 31: 426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Hwang IG, Shin YG, Lee J, Jeong HS, Kim HY, Yoo SM. 2012. Quality characteristics of red pepper paste (Capsicum annuum L.) added with garlic during aging. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1778-1784. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1778
- Hwang CR, Jeong EM, Lee SH, Hwang IG, Kim YB, Jeong JH, Lee J, Jeong HS. 2013. Chemical components and enzyme activity of hydroponic-cultured ginseng roots and leaves under different heating temperatures. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 911-916. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.911
- National Academy of Agricultural Science. 2011. 2011 National standard food composition tables. 8th ed. Functional Food & Nutrition Division, Jeonju, Korea. p 458.
- Lee SY, Baik SH, Ahn YJ, Song J, Kim JH, Choi HS. 2013. Quality characteristics of commercial Korean types of fermented soybean sauces in China. Korean J Food Sci Technol 45: 796-800. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.6.796
- Lim SI, Song SM. 2010. Changes in characteristics of lowsalted Kochujang with licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), mustard (Brassica juncea), and chitosan during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 560-566. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.4.560
- Kim HL, Lee TS, Noh BS, Park JS. 1999. Characteristics of the stored samjangs with different doenjangs. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 36-44.
- Kim YK, Kim SJ, Chang KS. 2005. Browning characteristics of ssamjang during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 529-537. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.4.529
- Kim JS, Choi SH, Lee SD, Lee GH, Oh MJ. 1999. Quality changes of sterilized soybean paste during its storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 1069-1075.
- Ahn SC, Bog HJ. 2007. Consumption pattern and sensory evaluation of traditional doenjang and commercial doenjang. Korean J Food Culture 22: 633-644.
- Kim YS, Kwon DJ, Oh HI, Kang TS. 1994. Comparison of physicochemical characteristics of traditional and commercial kochujang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 12-17.
- Park JM, Lee SS, Oh HI. 1995. Changes in chemical characteristics of traditional kochujang meju during fermentation. Korean J Food & Nutr 8: 184-191.
- Oh HJ, Lim JH, Lee JY, Jheon SB, Kang HY, Oh YS, Oh YJ, Lim SB. 2009. Quality characteristics of Jeju traditional Doenjang. The Korean J Culinary Res 15: 298-308.
- Jeong JH, Kim JS, Lee SD, Choi SH, Oh MJ. 1998. Studies on the contents of free amino acids, organic acids and isoflavones in commercial soybean paste. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 10-15.
- Kim MJ, Lee HS. 1993. Studies on the changes of taste compounds during soy paste fermentation (II). Korean J Soc Food Sci 9: 257-260.
- Chun MS, Lee TS, Noh BS. 1995. The changes in organic acids and fatty acids in Kochujang prepared with different mashing methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 25-29.
- Seo JS, Lee TS. 1995. The contents of organic acid and fatty acid in traditional soy sauce prepared from meju under different formations. Korean J Food & Nutr 8: 206-211.
- Park SK, Seo KI, Shon MY, Moon JS, Lee YH. 2000. Quality characteristics of home-made doenjang, a traditional Korean soybean paste. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 121-127.
- Kim MJ, Rhee HS. 1990. Studies on the changes of taste compounds during soy paste fermentation (I). Korean J Soc Food Sci 6: 1-8.