- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study for Regulating Flow Fluctuation and Preventing Backflow of Peristaltic Pump
연동펌프의 유량맥동 조절과 역류현상을 방지하는 장치에 대한 연구
- Jeong, Yoo-seok (Department of Mechanical Engineering Sogang University) ;
- Lee, Cheol-Soo (Department of Mechanical Engineering Sogang University) ;
- Lee, Tae-Kyung (Department of Mechanical Engineering Sogang University)
- Received : 2015.12.31
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.10.01
Though a peristaltic pump is a crucial element in miniaturized drug delivery systems, it has some intrinsic disadvantages such as backflow and flow fluctuation. To overcome these limitation, we have developed valve-less peristaltic pump system including orifice and stagnation chamber. we measured flow rate to investigate the performance of rotary peristaltic pump with three rollers and an elastomeric tube pumping a viscous fluid. The flow fluctuations and the backflow happen as a result from the disengagement of the contact interaction between the rollers and the tubes. Stagnation chamber installed in front of orifice plate was composed of rubber tube and gas chamber. By changing orifice hole diameter with stagnation chamber flow rate and pressure in the tube was regulated. The obtained maximum reduction ratio of flow fluctuation is 96.79%.
Supported by : 한국산업기술진흥원(KIAT)
- Hong, S., Choi, J., Park, J. W., Lee, C. H., Shin, J. W., Lee, J. C., and Jo, Y. H., 2005, "Review: Implantable Intrathecal Drug Infusion for the Control of Intractable Pump," The 32th Korean Society of Medical and Biological Engineering Conference, CD.P-166.
- Christenson, S. R., Robinson, R. D., Haase, J. M., and Luedi, M. K., 2003, "Implantable Drug Infusion Device with Peristaltic Pump using Tubbe Guides," U.S. Patent No. 6,626,867.
- Ruan, X., Couch, J. P., Liu, H., Shah, R. V., Wang, F., and Chiravuri, S., 2010, "Respiratory Failure Following Delayed Intrathecal Morphine Pump Refill:A Valuable," But Costly Lesson, Pain Physician Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 337-341.
- Misra, M., 2005, "The Basics of Hemodialysis Equipment," Hemodialysis International, Vol 9, No. 1, pp. 30-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1492-7535.2005.01115.x
- Jacobs, C., Kjellstrand, C. M., Koch, K. M., and Winchedter, J. F., 1996, "Replacemsnt of Renal Function by Dialysis," Springer Netherlands.
- Elabbasi, N., Bergstrom, J., and Brown, S., 2011, "Fluid-Structure Interaction Analysis of a Peristaltic Pump," In COMSOL Conference in Boston.
- Li, M. and Brasseur, J. G., 1993, "Non-steady Peristaltic Transport in Finite-length Tubes," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 248, pp. 129-151. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112093000710
- Klespitz, J. and Kovacs, L., 2014, "Peristaltic Pump-A Review on Working and Control Possibilities," IEEE 12th International Symposium on Applied Machine Intelligence and Informatics, pp. 191-194.
- Bernart, V. L., 1999, "Pulation Dampening in Suction and Discharge Systems for PD Pumps," World Pumps, Vol 397, pp. 20-24.
- Lee, N. R., Lee, S. H., and Hur, N. K., 2009, "A Numerical Study on the Flow Characteristics of a Peristaltic Micropump," Korea Society for Fluid Machinery, Vol 12, No. 4, pp. 37-43. https://doi.org/10.5293/KFMA.2009.12.4.037
- Kadahm, Y. M., 2012, "Medical Equipment II -Hemodialysis," unpublished.
- Olsen, J. M., Robinson, R. D., Christiansen, C., and Kratoska, P., 2001, "Overfill Protection System for Implantable Drug Delivery Devices," U.S. Patent 6,228,050B1.
- Spectrum Chromatography Ltd., "Peristaltic Pump Tubing," http://www.lplc.com/tubing/pumptube.html, 17.12.2015
- Aitavade, E. N., Patil, S. D., Kadam, A. N., and Mulla, T. S., "An Overview of Peristaltic Pump Suitable For Handling of Various Slurries and Liquids," IOSRKMCE, pp. 19-24.
- Yoo, S. H., Kang, S. D., Yang, E. S., and Park, K. A., 2004, "Discharge Coefficients of Orifice Hole in the Cartridge of Constant Flow Control Valve," Proceedings of the KFMA Annual Meeting, pp. 305-308.
- Shin, C. H., Ahn, S. H., Chung, J. T., and Her, J. Y., 2005, "The Numerical Analysis about the Hunting Factors of the Orifice Meter," Proceedings of the KFMA Annual Meeting, 150-157.
- Jang, J. H. and Lee, S. Y., 2010, "EGR Simulaion Gas Supply System using Orifice Flow Controller," The Korean Society of Automotive Engimeers, Vol. 5, pp. 251-253.