- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Rheological and Pasting Properties of Naked Barley Flour as Modified by Guar, Xanthan, and Locust Bean Gums
- Yoon, Sung-Jin (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Dongguk University-Seoul) ;
- Lee, Youngseung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Yoo, Byoungseung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Dongguk University-Seoul)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.23
- Published : 2016.12.31
To understand the effects of adding different gums (guar, xanthan, and locust bean gums) on naked barley flour (NBF), the rheological and pasting properties of NBF-gum mixtures were measured at different gum concentrations (0, 0.3, and 0.6% w/w). Steady shear rheological properties were determined by rheological parameters for power law and Casson models. All samples showed a clear trend of shear-thinning behavior (n=0.16~0.48) and had a non-Newtonian nature with yield stress. Consistency index, apparent viscosity, and yield stress values increased with an increase in gum concentration. Storage modulus values were more predominant than loss modulus values with all concentrations of gums. There is a more pronounced synergistic effect of elastic properties of NBF in the presence of xanthan gum. Rapid visco analyser pasting properties showed that the addition of gums resulted in a significant increase in the peak, breakdown, setback, and final viscosities, whereas the pasting temperature decreased.
Supported by : NRF
- Vasanthan T, Hoover R. 2009. Barley starch: production, properties, modification and uses. In Starch: Chemistry and Technology. 3rd ed. BeMiller J, Whistler R, eds. Academic Press Inc., Burlington, VT, USA. p 601-628.
- Lee CH, Kim J, Kwon J, Youn Y, Kim YS. 2013. Instant gruel from colored barley and oats for improving diabetic conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 885-891. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.885
- Baik BK, Ullrich SE. 2008. Barley for food: characteristics, improvement, and renewed interest. J Cereal Sci 48: 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2008.02.002
- Bhatty RS. 1993. Physicochemical properties of roller-milled barley bran and flour. Cereal Chem 70: 397-402.
- Samutsri W, Suphantharika M. 2012. Effect of salts on pasting, thermal, and rheological properties of rice starch in the presence of non-ionic and ionic hydrocolloids. Carbohydr Polym 87: 1559-1568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2011.09.055
- Chun SY, Kim HI, Yoo B. 2006. Effect of gum addition on the rheological properties of rice flour dispersions. Food Sci Biotechnol 15: 589-594.
- Rojas JA, Rosell CM, Benedito de Barber C. 1999. Pasting properties of different wheat flour-hydrocolloid systems. Food Hydrocolloids 13: 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(98)00066-6
- Sworn G. 2010. Xanthan gum. In Food Stabilisers, Thickeners and Gelling Agents. Imeson A, ed. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford, UK. p 325-342.
- Choi HM, Yoo B. 2009. Steady and dynamic shear rheology of sweet potato starch-xanthan gum mixtures. Food Chem 116: 638-643. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.02.076
- Kim WW, Yoo B. 2011. Rheological and thermal effects of galactomannan addition to acorn starch paste. LWT-Food Sci Technol 44: 759-764. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.11.009
- Lai LS, Liu YL, Lin PH. 2003. Rheological/textural properties of starch and crude hsian-tsao leaf gum mixed systems. J Sci Food Agric 83: 1051-1058. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1506
- Kim DD, Yoo B. 2010. Rheological behaviors of hydroxypropylated sweet potato starches influenced by guar, locust bean, and xanthan gums. Starch/Starke 62: 584-591. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201000042
- Yoo D, Kim C, Yoo B. 2005. Steady and dynamic shear rheology of rice starch-galactomannan mixtures. Starch/Starke 57: 310-318. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.200400390
- Kim C, Yoo B. 2006. Rheological properties of rice starch-xanthan gum mixtures. J Food Eng 75: 120-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.04.002
- Galkowska D, Pycia K, Juszczak L, Pajak P. 2014. Influence of cassia gum on rheological and textural properties of native potato and corn starch. Starch/Starke 66: 1060-1070. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201400078
- Khondkar D, Tester RF, Hudson N, Karkalas J, Morrow J. 2007. Rheological behaviour of uncross-linked and cross-linked gelatinised waxy maize starch with pectin gels. Food Hydrocolloids 21: 1296-1301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2006.10.008
- Funami T, Kataoka Y, Omoto T, Goto Y, Asai I, Nishinari K. 2005. Effects of non-ionic polysaccharides on the gelatinization and retrogradation behavior of wheat starch. Food Hydrocolloids 19: 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2004.04.024
- Achayuthakan P, Suphantharika M. 2008. Pasting and rheological properties of waxy corn starch as affected by guar gum and xanthan gum. Carbohydr Polym 71: 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2007.05.006
- Li X, Xing Y, Sun Q, Chu L, Xiong L. 2015. Effect of food gums on properties of pea starch and vermicelli prepared from pea starch. Starch/Starke 67: 399-406. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201400100
- Weber FH, Clerici MTPS, Collares-Queiroz FP, Chang YK. 2009. Interaction of guar and xanthan gums with starch in the gels obtained from normal, waxy and high-amylose corn starches. Starch/Starke 61: 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.200700655
- Shi X, BeMiller JN. 2002. Effects of food gums on viscosities of starch suspensions during pasting. Carbohydr Polym 50: 7-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8617(01)00369-1
- Assessment of physicochemical characteristics and modifications of pasting properties of different varieties of maize flour using additives vol.55, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3337-1