- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Learning Flow on Affective Outcomes in Software Education Using Games
게임을 활용한 SW교육의 정의적 성과에 대한 학습몰입의 매개 효과
- Kang, Myunghee (Dept. of Educational Technology, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Park, Juyeon (Ewha Womans University Elementary School) ;
- Yoon, Seonghye (Dept. of Educational Technology, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kang, Minjeng (Dept. of Educational Technology, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Jang, JeeEun (Dept. of Educational Technology, Ewha Womans University)
- 강명희 (이화여자대학교 교육공학과) ;
- 박주연 (이화여자대학교 부속초등학교) ;
- 윤성혜 (이화여자대학교 교육공학과) ;
- 강민정 (이화여자대학교 교육공학과) ;
- 장지은 (이화여자대학교 교육공학과)
- Received : 2016.08.31
- Accepted : 2016.09.30
- Published : 2016.10.31
As software transforms the structure of industry, it becomes a key measure in determining market competitiveness. Therefore, various educational efforts have been attempted in Korea to cultivate software professionals to secure software competitiveness. While previous studies had focused mainly on the cognitive effectiveness of software education, the authors tried to focus on affective perspectives. The authors, therefore, aimed to analyze the predictive power of the recognition of software importance and learning flow on affective outcomes, such as efficacy of computational thinking skills, and attitude toward, and satisfaction with, software education. The data were collected from 103 sixth grade students who participated in a software education. Results show that software importance and learning flow had significant predictive power on affective outcomes; Learning flow mediated the relationship between software importance and affective outcomes. This study provides practical implications for improving affective outcomes in the design and implementation of software education.
Supported by : 메이커스랩, 홍익대학교
- Atkinson, J. W. (1957). Motivational determinants of risk-taking behavior. Psychological Review, 64(6), 359-372. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0043445
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review, 84, 191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator -mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1975). Beyond boredom and anxiety. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1994). The evolving self: a psychology for the third millennium. New York, NY: Harper Perennial.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M., & Csikszentmihalyi, I. S. (1988). Optimal experience: Psychological studies of flow in consciousness. New York, NY: Cambridge university press.
- Eccles, J. S., Adler, T. F., Futterman, R., Goff, S. B., Kaczala, C. M., Meece, J. L., et al. (1983). Expectancies, values, and academic behavior. In J. T. Spencer (Ed.), Achievement and achievement motivation (pp. 75-146). San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.
- Jackson, S. A., & Marsh, H. W. (1996). Development and validation of a scale to measure optimal experience: The Flow State Scale. Journal of sport and exercise psychology, 18, 17-35. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.18.1.17
- Joo, Y. J., Han, S. Y., & Kim, N. Y. (2013). Development and Validation of a Scale to Measure Learning Outcomes. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 17(2), 461-475. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2013.17.2.461
- Joo, Y. J., Lim, K. Y., & Kim, J. (2013). Locus of control, self-efficacy, and task value as predictors of learning outcome in an online university context. Computers & Education, 62, 149-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2012.10.027
- Jung, H. J., Jung. J. W., & Kim, D. S. (2011). Development of E-Learning Environment Based on Flow Theory. Journal of Lifelong Learning Society, 7(3), 129-143.
- Kang, M. H., Heo, B. R., & Lim, H. J. (2012). Identifying a Mediating Effect of Task Value Between Task Authenticity and Learning Outcomes in Web-based Project Learning. Journal of Educational Studies, 43(4), 33-55.
- Keller, J. M. (1987). Development and use of the ARCS model of instructional design. Journal of instructional development, 10(3), 2-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02905967
- Korean Foundation for the advancement of Science & Creativity(2016). A Study on Surveying the Actual Conditions and Evaluating the Effectiveness of SW Education in Elementary and Secondary Schools.
- Korean Ministry of Education.(2015). Software Education Guidance.
- Lee, H. C., Lee, H. S., Sung, J. S., Jung, S. W., Kim, S. H., Kim, S. H., Kim. J. H., Park. J. Y., & Lee. B. M. (2015). A Study on Surveying the Actual Conditions and Evaluating the Effectiveness of SW Education in Elementary and Secondary Schools. KERIS.
- Lee, U. W., & Lee, J. Y. (2013) Analysis on structural relationships of learner characteristics, interactions, flow, perceived usefulness and learning satisfaction in SMART education environments-with focus on elementary school. Educational Information Media Research, 19(3), 573-603.
- Park, H. S., & Park, S. D. (2010). An Analysis of Perceptions of Teacher for Game-Based Learning. Korea Game Society, 10(4), 91-101.
- Park, J. S., Jung, H. J., & Park, J. S. (2008). Utilizing Computer Games To Improve Academic Learning Ability. Journal of the Korean society for computer game, 14, 72-80.
- Park, J. Y., & Kang, M, H. (2015). Structural Relationships Among Learners’Characters, Learning Flow, and Thinking Ability in a SCRATCH Programming Course for Elementary School Students. The Journal of Elementary Education, 28(4), 145-170.
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2004). SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 36(4), 717-731. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03206553
- Shin, N. (2003). Transactional Presence as a Critical Predictor of Success in Distance Learning. Distance Education, 24(1), 69-86. https://doi.org/10.1080/01587910303048
- Song, Y. H. (2013). Identifying the Predictability of Presence and flow on Learning Outcomes in Elementary School Students Who Use Digital Mathematics Textbooks. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 17(1), 151-172. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2013.17.1.151
- Suk, I. B., & Kang, E. C. (2007). Development and validation of the learning flow scale. Journal of Educational Technology, 23(1), 121-154. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.23.1.121
- Rim, H. K., & Cho. Y. N. (2012). Creative 3D game programming learning using Kodu visual programming language for elementary school students. Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information. 17(11), 53-61.
- Wing, J. M. (2006). Computational thinking. Communications of the ACM, 49(3), 33-35. https://doi.org/10.1145/1118178.1118215