- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Efficiency and Productivity of Metropolitan Urban Railway Corporation
광역도시권 철도운영기관의 효율성 및 생산성 분석 연구
- Kim, Haegon (Department of Road Transport Research, Korea Transport Institute) ;
- Lee, Jinsun (Department of Railroad Management, Woosong University)
- Received : 2016.05.23
- Accepted : 2016.06.22
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study analyzed the efficiency change and the factors affecting productivity change for the six railway operation corporations that are local public enterprises; study was performed with the DEA-CCR Model and Malmquist Productivity Index, using data collected from 2010 to 2014. Since it was not feasible to collect data on the operating expenses and the number of employees of each of the lines, the efficiencies of each operation corporation were analyzed by integrating the operation corporations, and the Malmquist Productivity Index was used to investigate the trend of the periodical productivity change. Average efficiency for urban railway operation corporations was found to be higher in the case of the bigger corporations. In 2014, the Seoul Metro and the Daejeon Metropolitan Express Transit Corporations were analyzed and found to be the most efficient operation corporations. The Malmquist Productivity Index was used to determine the periodical change; the average MPI was 1.06, with a continuous increase of productivity. The analysis showed that changes of technology were generally more obvious than change of technology efficiency for all six operation corporations.
- Y.S. Lee (2013) History and development of the Korea Railroad BG, Book Gallery, pp. 215-241.
- S.H. Roh, K.H Kook (2011) A study on efficiency of safety in urban railway perating-organization using data envelopment analysis, Proceedings of the Spring Conference of The Korean Society for Railway, Hoengseong, Korea, pp. 1262-1274.
- H.W. Kim, J. Lee, J.S. Lee (2010) Efficiency analysis in Korean railroad lines using DEA model, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 13(3), pp. 349-355.
- G.S. Yoo, S.J. Kim (2012) A Study the operational efficiency of urban railway system based on data envelopment analysis, The Seoul Institute, 13(4), pp. 237-246.
- S.H. Kim, J.H. Young, W.G. Lee (2014) Transport efficiency analysis of the lines of urban railway using data envelopment analysis, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 33(2), pp. 605-616.
- J.D. Lee, D.H. Oh (2012) Theory of efficiency analysis, Jiphil Media, Seoul, pp. 1-6.
- Charnes, Abraham William W. Cooper, and Edward Rhodes (1978) Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, 2(6), pp. 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Rolf Faere, Shawna Grosskopf, C. A. K. Lovell, Carl Pasurka (1989) Multilateral productivity comparisons when some outputs are undesirable: A nonparametric approach, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 71(1), pp. 90-98. https://doi.org/10.2307/1928055