- Volume 54 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effect of Large Coherent Structures to the Skin Friction by POD Analysis
적합직교분해(POD)기법을 사용한 난류 응집구조 거동에 관한 연구
- Shin, Seong-Yun (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Jung, Kwang-Hyo (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kang, Yong-Duck (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Suh, Sung-Bu (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Jin (Advanced Ship Research Division, Korea Research Institute of Ships & Ocean Engineering) ;
- An, Nam-Hyun (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Koje College)
- 신성윤 (부산대학교 조선해양공학과) ;
- 정광효 (부산대학교 조선해양공학과) ;
- 강용덕 (동의대학교 조선해양공학과) ;
- 서성부 (동의대학교 조선해양공학과) ;
- 김진 (선박해양플랜트연구소 미래선박연구부) ;
- 안남현 (거제대학교 조선해양공학과)
- Received : 2017.03.29
- Accepted : 2017.09.08
- Published : 2017.10.20
An experimental study in a recirculating water channel was carried out to investigate the effect of large coherent structures to the skin friction on a flat plate. Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) technique was used to quantify characteristic features of coherent structures growing to the boundary layer. In the PIV measurement, it is difficult to calculate the friction velocity near the wall region due to laser deflection and uncertainty so that Clauser fitting method at the logarithmic region was adopted to compute the friction velocity and compared with the one directly measured by the dynamometer. With changing the free-stream velocity from 0.5 m/s to 1.0 m/s, the activity of coherent structures in the logarithmic region was increased over three times in terms of Reynolds stress. The flow field was separated by Variable Interval Time Averaging (VITA) technique into the weak and the strong structure case depending on the existence large coherent structures in order to validate its effectiveness. The stream-wise velocity fluctuation was scanned through at the boundary thickness whether it had a large deviation from background flow. With coherent structures connected from near-wall to the boundary layer, mean wall shear stress was higher than that of weak structure case. Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) analysis was also applied to compare the energy budget between them at each free-stream velocity.
- Turbulent boundary layer;
- Large coherent structure;
- Friction velocity;
- Wall shear stress;
- Top-down energy cascade;
- Particle Image Velocimetry(PIV);
- Variable Interval Time Averaging(VITA);
- Proper Orthogonal Decomposition(POD)
- An, N. H., 2014. An Investigation of drag reduction mechanism of outer-layer vertical blades array. Ph.D. Thesis, Busan: Pusan National University.
- Berkooz, G. Holmes, P. & Lumley, J. L., 1993. The proper orthogonal decomposition in the analysis of turbulent flows. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 25, pp.539-575. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fl.25.010193.002543
- Blackwelder, R. F. & Kaplan, R. E., 1976. On the wall structure of the turbulent boundary layer. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 76(1), pp.89-112. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112076003145
- Choi, K. S., 1989. Near-wall structure of turbulent boundary layer with riblets. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 208, pp.417-458. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112089002892
- Christensen, K. T. & Adrian, R. J., 2001. Statistical evidence of hairpin vortex packets in wall turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 431, pp.433-443. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112001003512
- Clauser, F. H., 1956. The Turbulent boundary layer. Advances in Applied Mechanics, 4, pp.1-51.
- Corino, E. R. & Brodkey, R. S., 1969. A visual investigation of the wall region in turbulent flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 37, pp.1-30. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112069000395
- Dhanak, M. R. & Dowling, A. P., 1995. On the pressure fluctuations induced by coherent vortex motion near a surface. 26th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, San Diego, CA, June 19-22, 1995, Paper No. 95-2240.
- Del Alamo, J. C. Jimenez, J. Zandonade, P. & Moser, R. D., 2004. Scaling of the energy spectra of turbulent channels. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 500, pp.135-144. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211200300733X
- Ganapathisubramani, B. Longmire, E. K. & Marusic, I., 2003. Characteristics of vortex packets in turbulent boundary layers. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 478, pp.35-46.
- Han, S. & Feeny, B. F., 2002. Enhanced proper orthogonal decomposition for the modal analysis of homogeneous structures. Journal of Vibration and control, 8, pp.19-40.
- Hinze, J. O., 1975. Turbulence. McGraw-Hill Book Company: New York.
- Hutchins, N. & Marusic, I., 2007. Large-scale influences in near-Wall Turbulence. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, 365, pp.647-664. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2006.1942
- Iwamoto, K. Suzuki, Y. & Kasagi, N., 2002. Reynolds number effect on wall turbulence : toward effective feedback control. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 23, pp.678-689. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-727X(02)00164-9
- Jacob, B. Olivieri, A. Miozzi, M. Campana, E. & Piva R., 2010. Drag reduction by microbubbles in a turbulent boundary layer. Physics of Fluids, 22, pp.115104-1-11. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3492463
- Jimenez, J. & Pinelli, A., 1999. The autonomous cycle of near-wall turbulence. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 389, pp.335-359. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112099005066
- Jimenez, J., 2012. Cascades in wall-bounded turbulence. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 44, pp.27-45. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-120710-101039
- Kang, Y. D. Choi, K. S. & Chun, H. H., 2008. Direct intervention of hairpin structures for turbulent boundary-layer control. Physics of Fluids, 20, pp.101517-1-101517-13. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3006346
- Kim, J., 1983. On the structure of wall-bounded turbulent flows. Physics of Fluids, 26(8), pp.2088-2097. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.864413
- Kim, K., Sung, H. J. & Adrian, R. J., 2008. Effects of background noise on generating coherent packets of hairpin vortices. Physics of Fluids, 20, pp.105107-1-105107-10. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3001797
- Kline, S. J. Reynolds, W. C. Schraub, F. A. & Runstadler, P. W., 1967. The structure of turbulent boundary layer. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 30, pp.741-773. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112067001740
- Lim, J. Choi, H. & Kim, J., 1998. Control of streamwise vortices with uniform magnetic fluxes. Physics of Fluids, 10(8), pp.1997-2005. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.869715
- Lyons, S. L., Hanratty, T. J. & McLaughlin, J. B., 1989. Turbulence-producing eddies in the viscous wall region. American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 35(12), pp.1962-1974. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690351207
- Panton R. L., 1997. In Self-Sustaining Mechanisms of Wall Turbulence. Computational Mechanics Publications: Southampton, UK.
- Robinson, S. K., 1990. A perspective on coherent structures and conceptual models for turbulent boundary layer physics. AIAA, Fluid Dynamics, 21st Plasma Dynamics and Lasers Conference, Seattle, WA, 18-20 June 1990, pp.17.
- Schlichting, H. & Gersten, K., 2000. Boundary layer theory. Springer-Verlag: Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Schoppa, W. & Hussain, F., 2002. Coherent structure generation in near-wall. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 453, pp.57-108.
- Sirovich, L., 1987. Turbulence and the dynamics of coherent structures part I : coherent structures, quarterly of applied mathematics, Volume XLV, 3, pp.561-571.
- Smith, C. R. Walker, J. D. A. Haidari, A. H. & Sobrun, U., 1991. On the dynamics of near-wall turbulence. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, 336, pp.131-175. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1991.0070
- Squire, D. Baars, W. Hutchins, N. & Marusic, I., 2016. Inner-outer interactions in rough-wall turbulence. Journal of Turbulence, 17(12), pp.1159-1178. https://doi.org/10.1080/14685248.2016.1235278
- Theodorsen, T., 1952. Mechanism of turbulence. Proceedings of the Second Midwestern Conference on Fluid Mechanics, Ohio State University, pp.1-18.
- Toh, S. & Itano, T., 2005. Interaction between a large-scale structure and near-wall structures in channel flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 524, pp.249-262. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211200400237X
- Willmarth, W. W. & Lu, S. S., 1972. Structure of the Reynolds stress near the wall. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 55, pp.65-92. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211207200165X
- Zhou, J. Adrian, R. J. Balachandar, S. & Kendall, T. M., 1999. Mechanisms for generating coherent packets of hairpin vortices in channel flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 387, pp.353-396. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211209900467X
- A Study on Separation Control by Local Suction in Front of a Hemisphere in Laminar Flow vol.24, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2018.24.1.092