- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Research on the Development of Economic Value Evaluation Indices for Public Libraries
- Noh, Younghee (Department of Library and Information Science, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2017.08.14
- Accepted : 2017.09.04
- Published : 2017.09.30
The purpose of this study is to develop an evaluation index for evaluating the economic value of libraries. To this end, a preliminary evaluation index was derived from analyzing a total of approximately 60 domestic and foreign papers that examined the value of libraries. Based on the derived preliminary evaluation index, 11 experts were selected and the final evaluation index was developed by conducting the Delphi survey for 3 times. The final evaluation index consists of four evaluation areas, such as the economic value of the public library, economic revitalization, manpower development and job creation, and the improved investment value, seven evaluation items, and 22 evaluation indices. In the future, it will be necessary to conduct research to measure the economic value of public libraries.
- Abend, J., & McClure, C. R. (1999). Recent views on identifying impacts from public libraries. Public Library Quarterly, 17(3), 3-29. https://doi.org/10.1300/J118v17n03_02
- An, Jin-Sung. (2011). Developing evaluation criteria for historic gardens preservation condition by applying delphi technique and analytic hierarchy process. Doctoral Thesis, The Graduate School, Sungkyungkwan University.
- Chung, H. K., Ko, Y. M., Shim, W., & Pyo, S. H. (2009). An Exploratory Meta Analysis Economic Valuation Studies. Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 43(4), 117-137. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2009.43.4.117
- Chung, Hye-Kyung. (2005). A Study on Economic Valuation Model of Special Libraries. Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 22(3), 147-162. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2005.22.3.147
- Economics, N. S. (2008). The economic contribution of Wisconsin public libraries to the economy of Wisconsin. North Star Economics.
- Fraser, B. T., Nelson, T. W., & McClure, C. R. (2002). Describing the economic impacts and benefits of Florida public libraries: Findings and methodological applications for future work. Library & information science research, 24(3), 211-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(02)00123-8
- Holt, G. E., Elliott, D., & Dussold, C. (1996). A framework for evaluating public investment in urban libraries. The Bottom Line, 9(4), 4-13. https://doi.org/10.1108/08880459610131772
- Immroth, B. F., & Ash-Geisler, V. (1995). Achieving school readiness: public libraries and national education goal no. 1: with a "Prototype of public library services for young children and their families". Chicago: ALA.
- Kang, Mi-Hee. (2016). An Analysis of Economic Value of Children's Library. Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 47(2), 305-328.
- Kang, Yong Ju. (2008). Understanding and application of delphi technique. Seongnam: Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled.
- Kim, Eun Ran. (2015). 'Sharing', Will it be a new solution to the city?. Planning and Policy, 407, 92-97.
- Kim, Jin-Sun. (2015). A study on developing guidelines for online subject guides in university library. Master's Thesis, The Graduate School of Education, Pusan University.
- Ko, Y. M., Pyo, S. H., & Shim, W. (2012). A Pilot Study of the Economic Valuation of Academic Libraries. Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 46(4), 61-76. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2012.46.4.061
- Lawshe, C. H. (1975). A quantitative approach to content validity. Personnel psychology, 28(4), 563-575. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1975.tb01393.x
- Lee, Jong-Seong. (2001). Delphi method. Seoul: Kyoyookbook.
- MacGillivray, L., Ardell, A. L., & Curwen, M. S. (2009). Libraries, churches, and schools: The literate lives of mothers and children in a homeless shelter. Urban Education.
- Matthews, J. R. (2004). Measuring for results: The dimensions of public library effectiveness. Libraries Unltd Incorporated.
- Pyo, Soon-Hee. (2006). A Study on the Measuring of the Economic Value of a Public Library. Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 40(2), 243-261. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2006.40.2.243
- Pyo, Soon-Hee. (2014). A study on measuring the benefits of public libraries. Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 48(2), 307-329. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2014.48.2.307
- Pyo, Soon-Hee, & Cha, Mikyeong. (2016). The Study on the Measuring the Economic Use Value of the National Assembly Library Services. Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 50(4), 121-142. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2016.50.4.121
- Pyo, Soon-Hee, & Jeong, D. W. (2008). A Study on the Method of Measuring the Economic Use Value of Public Libraries. Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 42(2), 209-234. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2008.42.2.209
- Pyo, Soon-Hee, Ko, Y. M., & Shim, W. (2011). A Study on the Variables Affecting Public Library's Use Value. Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 42(2), 323-341. https://doi.org/10.16981/kliss.42.2.201106.323
- Pyo, Soon-Hee, & Park, S. Y. (2011). A Case Study on the Economic Valuation of Library Collection. Proceedings of the Conference of Korean Society for Information Management, 73-78.
- Rho, Seung-Yong. (2006). Delphi technique: Predict the future with professional insights. Planning and Policy, 299, 53-62.
- Ryu, Hee Kyeung, & Lee, Doo Young. (2006). A Study on the Economic Value Measurement of Domestic Monograph Full-Text Information Services. Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 23(4), 111-128. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2006.23.4.111
- Shim, W. (2010). Rethinking Theoretical and Practical Issues of Economic Valuation of Library Services. Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 44(4), 231-247. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2010.44.4.231
- Skurla, J., Jacobson, J., Jaeschke, J., Jacobson, J., McTavish, D., & McIntosh, C. (2011). Minnesota public libraries' return on investment.