- Volume 56 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Risk evaluation of fisher's safety on stow net fishing vessel
안강망어선에서 조업하는 선원의 위험도 평가
- HYUN, Yun-Ki (Fisheries Policy Office, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries) ;
- KIM, Hyung-seok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Training ship, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2020.04.02
- Accepted : 2020.05.04
- Published : 2020.05.31
Stow net fishery is one of the fishery with high fishing work accidents in southwestern sea of Korea. We conducted to serve as basic data for improving the healthy and safe working environment of fisher using risk assessment process (ISO45001) with fishermen's occupational accidents of the National Federation of Fisheries Cooperative (NFFC) from 2016 to 2018. The average occurrence rate of victim in this fishery was 9.04%, 16.7 times more than such rate in all industries. In addition, the average fatality rate was found to have a very serious level management to 31.06‱, 27.7 times more than such rate in all industries. The safety hazards of stow net fishery was more likely to occur by other general industrial groups, with more severe consequences after the accident. According to 4M analysis, 58.6% of all accidents were caused by human factors, 24.0% by environmental factors, 16.0% by mechanical factors, and 1.5% by managerial factors, respectively. The occurrence frequency by accident type was the highest in 187 cases (32.2%) for struck by object, 158 cases (27.2%) for slipping, and 94 cases (16.2%) for being in contact with machinery. Severity is the highest for others such as diseases etc., in the order of being struck by object, being in contact with machinery, falling from above slipping, collapsing, bumping, and burning. Being struck by object, being in contact with machinery, and slipping are high-risk groups, falling from above others, bumping, and burning are medium-risk groups based on the risk assessment using the occurrence frequency and severity of accident. The obtained results are expected to contribute to the safe operation environment subsidy for fishing crews on the stow net fishing vessel.
- Cho SK, Cha BJ and Kim HY. 2011. Catches of main species and bycatch according to the codend mesh sizes of stow net on anchor in the West Sea of Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 47, 88-98. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.2.088.
- Cho SK, Park CD, Kim HY, Kim IO and Cha BJ. 2010. Catches comparison according to the codend mesh size of stow ent on anchor in the West Sea of Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.46.1.001.
- Han HS, Oh HK, Kang BM, Jo TH, Kim YS and Kim BC. 1980. Studies on the improvement of stow net-I. Model experiment. Bull Fish Res Dev Agency 23, 203-218.
- Han HS, Kang BM, Jo TH, Kim BC and Chang JW. 1981. Studies on the improvement of stow net-II, Development of sheering canvas. Bull Fish Res Dev Agency 27, 119-126.
- Jo TH, Kim BC, Kim BA and Chang Jw. 1983. Studies on the improvement of stow net-III, Model experiment on the improvement of anchor. Bull Fish Res Dev Agency 31, 61-68.
- Kang KB, Kim JB, Heo NH and Kim SJ. 2018. A study on the installation methods of automatic identification buoy of fishing gear on coastal stow net. JFMSE 30, 1453-1462. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.08.30.4.1453.
- Kim DA and Ko KS. 1985. A study for designing the zonal canvas type of stow net. Bull Korean Fish Soc 18, 1-7.
- Kim JK. 1990. Improvement of the spreading efficiency of stow net. Ph.D. Thesis, Cheju National University, Korea, 1-46.
- Kim TO, Lee BG and KIM JK. 1994. Comparative analysis on the fishing efficiency of stow nets, traditional and improved. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 30, 1-12.
- Ko KS and Kim YH. 1979. Model experiment of stow net. Bull Korean Fish Soc 12, 201-207.
- Korean Occupational Safety Health Agency (KOSHA). 2016. Guide of records and classification for industrial accident. 1-64.
- Korean Occupational Safety Health Agency (KOSHA). 2018. http://www.kosha.or.kr/ board.do?menuId=554. Statistics on occupational accidents in 2018. Accessed 1 Mar 2020.
- Lee BG, Kim JK and Lee JH. 1988. Study on the improvement of stow net fishing technique and the enlargement of fishing ground to the distant water. 1. model experiment of the net. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 24, 55-64.
- Lee BG, Kim JK and Lee JH. 1989a. Study on the improvement of stow net fishing technique and the enlargement of fishing ground to the distant water. 2. model experiment on the newly designed gear. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 25, 6-11.
- Lee BG, Kim JK and Lee JH. 1989b. Study on the improvement of stow net fishing technique and the enlargement of fishing ground to the distant water. 3. field experiment on the efficiency of newly designed net and the stern operation system. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 25, 75-81.
- Lee GH, Cho SK, Kim IO, Cha BJ, Jung SJ and Koo MS. 2018. A study on improvement of the lower canvas bar for reducing loss of stow net on anchor. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 54, 271-278 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.4.271.
- Lee YW, Cho YB, Kim SK, Kim SJ, Park TG, Ryu KJ and Kim WS. 2015. Hazard factors assessment for the fishermen's safety on the vessel of offshore stow nets on anchor using insurance proceeds payment of NFFC. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 27, 1129-1135. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.4.1129.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 1997. A study on the development of offshore stow net for labor saving. Report of MOF. 1-332.
- National Competency Standards (NCS). 2020. Offshore fishery. https://ncs.go.kr/unity/th03/ncsSearchMain.do. Accessed 25 Feb 2020.
- National Fisheries Research Development Institute (NFRDI). 1971. Studies on the improvement of stow net. Report of NFRDI. 1-40.
- NQA. 2018. ISO 45001:2018 Occupational health & safety implementation guide. ed. Constantine A. 1-36.
- Park JW and Lee HS. 1997. A study on the hull-dimension of 89 ton class stow-net vessel with stern fishing. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 33, 159-165.
- Park MK, Kim US, Kim SK and Lee YW. 2012. Code of safety for fishermen and fishing vessel 2005, part A. Hangil Print, Busan, KOREA, 1-531.