- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Starch Noodle (Dangmyeon) and Pork Intestines on the Rehydration Stability of Korean Blood Sausage (Sundae)
- Kim, Youngmin (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Jang, Hyejin (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lim, Sangdong (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Sangpil (Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2020.07.16
- Accepted : 2020.10.28
- Published : 2021.01.01
This study was conducted to examine the effects of starch noodles (dangmyeon; SNs) with different starch sources and porcine intestines (PIs) with different pH on the rehydration stability of Korean blood sausage (sundae). Mungbean SN3 and PI3 (pH 9.18) showed significantly higher values of 80.69%-91.67% and 79.66%-80.98%, respectively, regardless of the drying methods (hot air, vacuum and freeze drying) (p<0.05). A number of larger pores were observed only in the cross-section of the freeze dried SN and PI through SEM. SN2 (potato starch) and PI3 (pH 9.18) showed lower expansion (⁎ΔL 6.90 mm) and higher expansion ratio (⁎ΔL 26.29 mm), respectively, after rehydration of freeze dried sample (p<0.05). From the application of SN2 (potato starch) and PI (0.5%-2.0% Na-pyrophosphate) to freeze dried sundae manufacturing, higher rehydration stability of more than 91.5% was obtained. These results suggested that potato SN and treatment of PI with Na-pyrophosphate is useful for desirable rehydration stability of freeze dried sundae.
- Baslar M, Kilicl M, Toker OS, Sagdic O, Arici M. 2014. Ultrasonic vacuum drying technique as a novel process for shortening the drying period for beef and chicken meats. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 26:182-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2014.06.008
- Caldironi HA, Ockerman HW. 1982. Incorporation of blood proteins into sausage. J Food Sci 47:405-408. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb10091.x
- Celma AR, Cuadro F, Lopez rodriguezc F. 2009. Characterization of industrial tomato by-products from infrared drying process. Food Bioprod Process 87:282-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2008.12.003
- Chen Z. 2003. Physicochemical properties of sweet potato starches and their application in noodle products. Ph.D. dissertation, Wageningen Univ., Wageningen, Netherlands.
- Chen Z, Sagis L, Legger A, Linssen JPH, Schols HA, Voragen AGJ. 2002. Evaluation of starch noodles made from three typical Chinese sweet potato starches. J Food Sci 67:3342-3347. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb09589.x
- Choe JH, Kim HY. 2016. Effects of swelled pig skin with various natural vinegars on quality characteristics of traditional Korean blood sausages (Sundae). Food Sci Biotechnol 25:1605-1611. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0247-8
- Choi YS, Sung JM, Jeon KH, Choi HW, Seo DH, Kim CJ, Kim HW, Hwang KE, Kim YB. 2015. Quality characteristics on adding blood levels to blood sausage. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31:741-748. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.6.741
- Hong SP, Kim YH, Lee NH, Heo YU. 2013. The physicochemical characteristics of marinated beef Galbi under different cooking conditions. Korean J Food Cult 28:78-88. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.1.078
- Jung SH, Shin GJ, Choi CU. 1991. Comparison of physicochemical properties of corn, sweet potato, wheat and mungbean starches. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23:272-275.
- Karam MC, Petit J, Zimmer D, Djantou EB, Scher J. 2016. Effects of drying and grinding in production of fruit and vegetable powders: A review. J Food Eng 188:32-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2016.05.001
- Kim CJ, Lim SC. 1994. Effects of tumbling condition and curing method on the quality of turkey drumstick. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 14:37-40.
- Kim YB, Rho JH, Richardson I, Wood J. 2000. Comparison of physicochemical properties of pork from 4 different pig breeds. Korean J Anim Sci 42:195-202.
- Kim YM, Lee SR, Jang HJ, Lim SD, Oh YC, Hong SP. 2019. Study on the development of HMR (RTE) product using Sundae (Korean sausage). 2019 KFN International Symposium and Annual Meeting of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, ICC, Jeju, Korea. p 328.
- Korean Food Research Institute. KFRI u-food quality information system. Available from: http://db.ufood.kr/index.jsp. Accessed at Jan 29, 2020.
- Ledward DA. 1985. Post-slaughter influences on the formation of metyyoglobin in beef muscles. Meat Sci 15:149-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(85)90034-8
- Lee YC, Oh SW, Han SB, Han SD, Kang N. 2002. Properties of dangmyuns using different starches and freeze dried dangmyuns. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34:24-29.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Korean Food Additives Standard Codex. Available from: https://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/foodcode/04_03.jsp?idx=4. Accessed at Jan 29, 2020.
- Oh JH, Lee EJ, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2012. Characteristics of Korean blood sausages (Soondae) for globalization. Food Ind Nutr 17:23-26.
- Oh SD. 2012. A literature review on the types and cooking methods of Soondae during the Joseon dynasty. Korean J Food Cult 27:340-345. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2012.27.4.345
- Owen JE, Lawrie RA. 1975. The effect of an artificially induced high pH (hydrogen ion concentration) on the susceptibility of minced porcine muscle to undergo oxidative rancidity under frozen storage. J Food Sci Technol 10:169-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1975.tb00019.x
- Park KL. 2017. A literature review of the recipes for pork: A focus on recipe data published in Korea from the Joseon dynasty to modern times. Korean J Human Ecol 26:471-493. https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2017.26.5.471
- Silva FAP, Amaral DS, Guerra ICD, Dalmas PS, Arcanjo NMO, Bezerra TKA, Beltrao Filho EM, Moreira RT, Mandruga MS. 2013. The chemical and sensory qualities of smoked blood sausage made with edible by-products of goat slaughter. Meat Sci 94:34-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.01.004
- Son JW, Yum CA, Kim CJ. 1999. Effects of binding materials on sensory and cooking properties of Soondae. Korean J Food Cook Sci 15:191-196.
- Son YJ, Choi SY, Lee KY, Huang Y, Yoo KM, Hwang IK. 2014. Study on major Korean protein sources before and after freeze drying processing. Korean J Food Cook Sci 30:64-75. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.1.064
- Wang M, Chen C, Sun G, Wang W, Fang H. 2010. Effects of curdlan on the color, syneresis, cooking qualities, and textural properties of potato starch noodles. Starch Starke 62:429-434. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201000007
- Wu L, Orikasa T, Ogawa Y, Tagawa A. 2007. Vacuum drying characteristics of eggplants. J Food Eng 83:422-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.03.030
- Yim DG, Yang MR, No GR, Choi DS, Jang HM, Kim TY, Jo JW, Yang SC, Kim SW, Kim IS. 2016. Quality characteristics of the meat products reached expiration date in Korean market. J Agric Life Sci 50:169-177. https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2016.50.4.169
- Yook C, Lee WK. 2001. Production of starch vermicelli (Dangmyun) by using modified corn starches (I): Physicochemical properties of domestic and foreign starch vermicelli (Dangmyun). Korean J Food Sci Technol 33:60-65.