- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Trace Organic Contaminants in Sediments from Deep-sea Basin near Dokdo, Korea
- Yim, Un-Hyuk (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Oh, Jae-Ryoung (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Hong, Sang-Hee (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Li, Dong-Hao (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Shim, Won-Joon (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Choi, Hye-Kyung (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Kim, Eun-Soo (Ecosystem and Environment Research Laboratory, KORDI) ;
- Shim, Jae-Hyung (School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Published : 2002.12.31
Trace organic contaminants in deep-sea sediments near Dokdo were analyzed. Total PAMs concentration ranged 14.8-314 ng/g dry weight and high molecular weight PAHs were dominant. The highest PAHs concentration was detected at A19 which located at Ulleung Basin. Most of organochlorines were under detection limit. Among the detected organochlorines, DDT compounds were dominant and followed by HCHs and HCB. Butyltin compounds and most of organophosphorus pesticides were not detected. Vertical distribution of PAHs showed typical sub-surface maximum and decreasing trends depending on depth. The highest PAHs concentration reached 454ng/g. Some organochlorines, DDT, HCH was detected and also showed decreasing trends. Other target organic pollutants were not detected in core sediments. Abnormally high level of PAHs concentration in A19 was discussed and the input sources were inferred to be the transport of sludge derived pollutant dumped at dumping site 'Byung' by deep current.
- Allen-Gil, S.M., C.P. Gubala, R. Wilson, D.H. Landers, T.L. Wade, and J.L. Sericano et al. 1997. Organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in sediments and biota from four US Arctic Lakes. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 33, 378-387. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002449900267
- Alzieu, C.L. 1986. TBT detrimental effects on oyster culture in France-evolution since antifouling paint regulation. Oceans 86. Proceedings of the Third International Organotin Symposium, Vol. 4. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, pp.1130-1134.
- Baumard, P., H. Budzinski, and P. Garrigue. 1998. PAHs in sediments and mussels of the Western Mediterranean Sea. Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 17, 765-776. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620170501
- Chang, K.I., N.G. Hogg, M.S. Suk, S.K. Byun, K. Kim, and Y.G. Kim. 2002. Mean flow and variability in Southwestern East Sea. Deep-Sea Res. (In press).
- Froescheis, O., R. Looser, G.M. Cailliet, W.M. Jarman, and K. Ballschimiter. 2000. The deep-sea as a final global sink of semivolatile persistent organic pollutants? Part I: PCBs in surface and deep-sea dwelling fish of the North and South Atlantic and the Monterey Bay Canyon (California). Chemosphere, 40, 651-660. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00461-0
- Hargrave, B.T., G.A. Phillips, W.P. Vass, P. Bruecker, H.E. Welch, and T.D. Siferd. 2000. Seasonality in bioaccumulation of organochlorines in lower tropic level Arctic marine biota. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34, 980-987. https://doi.org/10.1021/es990871c
- Harris, C.R. and J.R.W. Miles. 1975. Pesticide residues in the Great Lakes region of Canada. Residue Review, 57, 27-79.
- Hites, R.A. and R.E. Laflamme. 1977. Sedimentary polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: the historical record. Science, 198, 829-831. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.198.4319.829
- Iwata, H., S. Tanabe, N. Sakal, and R. Tatsukawa. 1993. Distribution of persistent organochlorines in the Oceanic air and surface seawater and the role of ocean on their global transport and fate. Environ. Sci. Technol., 27, 1080-1098. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00043a007
- Iwata, H., S. Tanabe, N. Sakai, A. Nishimura, and R. Tatsukawa. 1994. Geographical distribution of persistent organochlorines in air, water and sediments from Asia and Oceania, and their implications for global redistribution from lower latitudes. Environ. Pollut., 85, 15-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/0269-7491(94)90234-8
- Kennicutt II, M.C., T.L. Wade, B.J. Presley, A.G. Requejo, J.M. Brooks, and G.J. Denoux. 1994. Sediments contaminants in Casco Bay, Maine: inventories, sources, and potential for biological impact. Environ. Sci. Technol., 28, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00050a003
- Khim, J.S., K. Kannan, D.L. Villeneuve, C.H. Koh, and J.P. Giesy. 1999. Characterization and distribution of trace organic contaminants in sediment from Masan Bay, Korea. 1. Instrumental analysis. Environ. Sci. Tech., 33, 4199-4205. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9904484
- Kim, G.B., K.A. Maruya, R.F. Lee, J.H. Lee, C.H. Koh, and S. Tanabe. 1997. Distribution and sources of PAHs in Kyeonggi Bay, Korea. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 38, 7-15.
- Krahn, M.M. and L.K. Moore. 1988. High performance liquid chromatographic method for isolating organic contaminants from tissue and sediment extracts. J. Chromatogr., 437, 161-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(00)90379-0
- Kramer, W., H. Buchert, U. Reuter, M. Biscoito, D.G. Maul, G. LeGrand, and K. Ballschmiter. 1984. Global baseline studies IX: C6-C14 organochlorine compounds in surface waters and deep-sea fish from the Eastern North Atlantic. Chemosphere, 12, 1255-1267.
- Laflamme, R.E. and R.A. Hites. 1978. The global distribution of PAHs in recent sediments. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta., 42, 289-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(78)90182-5
- Lauenstein, G.G. and A.Y. Cantillo. 1998. Sampling and analytical methods of the National Status and Trends Program Mussel Watch Project: 1993-1996. MA, NOAA.
- McCready, S., D.J. Slee, G.F. Birch, and S.E. Taylor. 2000. The distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surficial sediments of Sydney Harbour, Australia. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 40(11), 999-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(00)00044-8
- McElroy, A.E., J.W. Farrington, and J.M. Teal. 1989. Bioavailibility of PAHs in aquatic environment. In Metabolism of PAHs in aquatic environment: pp.2-33. CRC Press Inc. Boca Raton, Florida.
- Medina, D., A. Prieto, G. Ettiene, I. Buscema, and A. Avreu de V. 1999. Persistence of organophosphorus pesticide residues in Limon River waters. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 63, 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001289900945
- MOMAF. 2000. Baseline studies of Dok Island ecosystem. BSPM 99045-00-1282-6. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- MOMAF. 2001. The status of POPs contamination along the coast of Korea. BSPM00070-00-1336-3, 3-15, Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea (in Korean).
- MOST. 2001. Marine environmental conservation technology: Development of monitoring technology for the wastes disposal sea areas. BSPN 421-00-1366-4. 76-80. Ministry of Science and Technology, Seoul Korea (in Korean).
- Montone, R.C., S. Taniguchi, and R.R. Weber. 2001. Polychlorinated biphenyls in marine sediments of Admiralty Bay, King George Island, Antarctica. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 42(7), 611-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(01)00092-3
- Muir, D.C.G., N.P. Grift, W.L. Lockhart, P. Wilkinson, B.N. Billeck, and G.J. Brunskil. 1995. Spatial trends and historical profiles of organochlorine pesticides in Arctic lake sediments. Sci. Total Environ., 160/161 447-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04378-E
- Naes, K. and E. Oug. 1998. The distribution and environmental relationships of PAHs in sediments from Norwegian smelter-affected fjords. Chemosphere, 36, 561-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(97)00361-5
- Ohkouch, N., K. Kawamura, and H. Kawahata. 1999. Distribution of three- to seven-ring polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on the deep sea floor in the central Pacific. Environ. Sci. Technol., 33, 3086-3090. https://doi.org/10.1021/es981181w
- Seligman, P.F., A.O. Valkirs, P.M. Stang, and R.F. Lee. 1988. Evidence for rapid degradation of tributyltin in a marina. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 19, 531-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(88)90544-9
- Shim, W.J. 2000. A study on environmental chemistry and toxicology of organotins in the marine environment of Korea. Ph.D thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. 263 pp.
- Shim, W.J., J.R. Oh, S.H. Kahng, J.H. Shim, and S.H. Lee. 1999. Horizontal distribution of butyltins in surface sediments from an enclosed bay system, Korea. Environ. Pollut., 106(3), 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00109-8
- Simpson, C.D., A.A. Mosi, W.R. Cullen, R.A. Bright, and K.J. Reimer. 1996. Composition and distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon contamination in surficial marine sediments from Kitimat Harbor, Canada. Sci. Tot. Environ., 181, 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)05026-4
- Sloan, C.A. and N.G. Adams. 1993. Northwest fisheries science center organic analytical procedures. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS ORCA 71, 53-97.
- Stein, J.E., W.L. Reichert, M. Nishimoto, and U. Varanasi. 1990. Overview of studies on liver carcinogenesis in English sole from Puget Sound; evidence for a xenobiotic chemical etiology II: biochemical studies. Sci. Tot. Environ., 94, 51-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(90)90364-Z
- Takada, H., J.W. Farrington, M.H. Bothner, C.G. Johnson, and B.W. Tripp. 1994. Transport of sludge-derived organic pollutants to deep-sea sediments at deep water Dump Site 106. Environ. Sci. Tech., 28, 1062-1072. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00055a015
- Tsuda, T., T. Inoue, M. Kojima, and S. Aoki. 1996. Pesticides in water and fish from rivers flowing into Lake Biwa. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 57(3), 442-449. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001289900210
- Venkatesan, M.I. and I.R. Kaplan. 1982. Distribution and transport of hydrocarbons in surface sediments of the Alaskan outer continental shelf. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta., 46, 2135-2149. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(82)90190-9
- Wakeham, S.G. and C. Schaffner. 1980. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in recent lake sediments-II. Compounds derived from biogenic precursors during early diagenesis. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta., 44, 415-429. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(80)90041-1
- Walker, K., D.A. Vallero, and R.G. Lewis. 1999. Factors influencing the distribution of lindane and other hexachlorocychlohexanes in the environment. Environ. Sci. Technol., 33(24), 4373-4378. https://doi.org/10.1021/es990647n
- Willett, K.L., E.M. Ulrich, and R.A. Hites. 1998. Differential toxicity and environmental fates of hexachlorocyclohexane isomers. Envion. Sci. Technol., 32(15), 2197-2207. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9708530
- Yu, J., D.H. Lee, K.T. Kim, D.B. Yang, and J.S. Yang. 2001. Distribution of organophosphorus pesticides in some estuarine environments in Korea. J. Fish. Sci. Tech., 4(4), 201-207.
- Temporal trend, spatial distribution, and terrestrial sources of PBDEs and PCBs in Masan Bay, Korea vol.60, pp.10, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2010.05.023